Is the internet too dangerous? (29 Apr, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is the internet too dangerous? (29 Apr, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:27 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0429.shtml

Has the level of crime on the Net now risen to the point were we really do need to consider changing its underlying architecture to provide more security?

With the ability for anyone, anywhere in the world to connect to almost any other system, anywhere else in the world, how can we provide the levels of security needed to avoid the ransomware attacks, data theft and fraud we're seeing these days?

Banks, hospitals, police, power grids and other pieces of crucial infrastructure seem to be falling to hackers on an almost daily basis -- surely something must be done to stop, or at least significantly reduce, this kind of damage.

What suggestions do you have?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the internet too dangerous? (29 Apr, 2021)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:02 am

Simple. We do nothing.

We wait until these system are so expensive to secure and run. When they realise the cost of these systems, often run by outsourced overseas outfits on whatever the latest fad software is or shoved into the cloud, is becoming prohibitive. When company profits begin to fall because of "digital" only then will the beancounters and managers do anything serious. In the meantime systems will just get more complicated and larger whilst providing little more functionality short of a shiny new UI. And whats worse is we'll be forced to use them. And whats even worse again is we let digitally inexperienced people loose on them too - not their fault but in the rush to digital it's inevitable problems will arise.

We'll just have to suffer endless "customer security is important to us" and "lessons learned" bullshit for a while more.
goosemoose

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 am

Ahhh there you going looking for a solution to a problem that wont be allowed to be solved?

Organized crime? Petty crime?

It occurs daily in government departments, lawyers offices, and in all sorts of official places. Billions missing.

It is just becoming more apparent in the digital age.

If the government thought that crime was a problem - they would resolve it.

Your thoughts are the problem.
GCSBIntercepts

Postby shadesnz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:54 am

There's going to be a big market for security products in the future.
I use Linux where ever possible.
Data stored on USB sticks is safe as long as you don't lose it.
We're going to have to form a safe digital lifestyle.
But if the Apple iphone simplicity is an indication, its going to be
A very hard sell.
shadesnz

Postby hagfish » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:41 pm

In rough order of 'trustedness', I have: iOS > Raspbian > ChromeOS > macOS > Windows 10

If I have to make a payment, I pull out my little old phone. It's tiny and frustrating but I'm NOT going to perform that kind of transaction on my gaming PC, which is also home to software from the likes of Epic, EA and Facebook. It's weird how everyone's perceptions differ. My in-laws recently sent me several hundred dollars - rolled up in the bottom of a courier bag!

Distributed digital ledgers seemed to be a great hope for security, but that has yet to come to pass. The inability to correct honest mistakes (let alone malfeasance) is tricky. I think we could achieve much better security, but it would be at the cost of (any remaining) flexibility and privacy.
hagfish

Return to Today's column