That is it, I slit my wrists (30 Apr, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

That is it, I slit my wrists (30 Apr, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:33 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0430.shtml

Fortunately, I enjoy a good fight so the challenges that face me in the modern world are something that keep me alive, not drive me to the depths of depression.

But seriously, has the world not gone totally made, for the very reasons I have listed in today's column?

Am I (and I suspect many others) just now a square peg in a round hole?

How do YOU cope with the way the world is changing in what appears to be (from the perspective of this grumpy old man) rather negative ways?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: That is it, I slit my wrists (30 Apr, 2021)

Postby goosemoose » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:13 am

I kick against the machine when I can. It's the little things that amuse me these days. This week I have:

- Contacted my superannuation provider to see how I get hold of my statement without downloading an app or registering for some website that will probably lose my data at some stage. Annoyed them by wasting 30 minutes of their (And mine too!) time getting them to "help" me sign up.
- Logged a support call with a website/org because it's security questions were all US centric and or stupid and made no sense to the evil me.
- Sent a cheque as payment for a bill I got by an organisation that annoyed me (well that was a couple of weeks ago). Then...
- In the end paid by internet banking but typed a long winded description into the stupid 12 character transaction limit that made sense to me but not them. This is one of my bug bears. Banks going all digital but won't allow me write a free form transaction description.
- Telling the market research person that called me to send me a purchase order before me answering their questions for them. Information ain't free these days! They couldn't get their heads around that one!

Just be as big a PITA as you can to the machine! As for "white privilege" well I suppose so, but what can you do eh.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 am

I read through your screed - it turns out you might be beginning to get it! If you substitute 'inconvenienced at the post office' with 'booted off land'; and swapped 'not fluent in Māori' with 'thrashed for speaking Māori'; and changed 'not allowed to fly my toy' to 'summarily massacred', you'll be getting even closer. For lots of square pegs, that whole sob-story amounts to 'a Tuesday'. And industrialised, medicalised society is home to more and more square pegs. As long as we are all equally miserable, tho, ay.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 am

hagfish wrote:As long as we are all equally miserable, tho, ay.

Indeed... equality and misery for all!

Mind you, if anyone reading this *has* been summarily masacred due to anything I've done, I'll gladly accept responsibility and take my punishment like a man.

Just sayin :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am

Bruce wrote:I . . . acknowledge that people have a right to identify as whatever gender they choose . . . .

Yeah - that'll work.

Perry

Postby goldedge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 am

looking good perry sorry about your medical condition.
goldedge

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 pm

And there I was, thinking it was to be a colonoscopy. :twisted:
Perry

Postby dingram17 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 pm

What photo or proof of ID does NZ Post offer customers? What options are there for people that don't drive?

Here in Oz, Australia Post is big into the ID business (making money from the back end I think) and offers phone apps that are a proof of age Photo ID, as well as a plastic card (no pic) for pick ups. At least a NZ licence is cheap and lasts 10 years. RipOffQld charges $190 for a 5 year licence (NSW and Vic have 10y options for $352 or $283 respectively).

The only people entitled to see my Driver Licence are police and transport department people. Licenced premises are allowed to scan IDs in the name of "safety", and addresses are compulsory on DL here in Queensland, so I got myself a Proof of Identity (was 18+) card. For some reason US, UK, NZ and Australian people are super-anti "national ID cards" like European countries have, but have no problem with Driver Licences being used as pseudo-ID.
dingram17

Return to Today's column