Will you pay for TVNZ content? (11 May, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Will you pay for TVNZ content? (11 May, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0511.shtml

Will you sign up and pay a monthly stipend to use TVNZ's "OnDemand" VOD streaming service without ads?

Will anyone actually pay for this?

Do they have enough unique and high-demand content to swing such a move?

Has video had its day, given the rapidly deteriorating signal-to-noise ratio and the huge number of services all vying for our monthly stipend?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Will you pay for TVNZ content? (11 May, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am

For me, it depends on the price. Our family has had Netflix for a decade, and it's always easily justified the few bucks per month. Until recently, at least - it's no longer just a few bucks. I think the time will come when we let it lie fallow, and subscribe to something else for a while - possibly Prime. Forking out for multiple services all at once doesn't seem like the right approach. As you say, video does seem to be spread a bit thin, at present.

These days we are watching more TVNZ than Netflix (The Watch, Creamery, Popstars (I know!), Casketeers, Drag Race (I know!!)). The TVNZ/Freeview apps are alright, and the ad slots are integrated way better than they used to be. They cut in at appropriate times, we get one cheaply-made ad (or a house ad, because they couldn't even sell a single slot) and then it's back to the show. They're very innocuous – in fact – I do worry that they can't seem to sell the ad space, even on their headline shows. Surely selling ads an easier approach than shaking us all down individually every month. I'd kick in maybe $5-10/month, but if TVNZ thinks they can charge $15/month, we'll just suck up the ads - even if the premium stream is 4K. We'd be more likely to go YouTube premium, than TVNZ, at this point. There's always AppleTV+ (until the sub runs out) and Kanopy, and the poor Kodi box languishing unloved in the corner.
hagfish

Postby joeseph » Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Will you sign up and pay a monthly stipend to use TVNZ's "OnDemand" VOD streaming service without ads?

Not me...
joeseph

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue May 11, 2021 10:36 am

I think TVNZ needs to get together with the advertisers and ad-agencies and come up with watchable ads. It is possible (Jasper Carrot, Fair Go Best-of) to produce ads that can stand repeated viewing, but it needs some creative thinking facilitated by TVNZ having a re-think about how to present them without interrupting programs.
Currently, the ASB ads are an example of telling mini-stories and SWMBO always waxes lyrical about the runaway kid ad (no idea what it’s advertising but that may just be my galloping decrepitude.)

On the same subject, the internet desperately needs the option of viewers being able to click on an ad and be assured they will never, never see that fucking ad ever again. Especially anything suggesting something is taking Invercargill by storm!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby goosemoose » Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 am

aardvark_admin wrote:I wonder what the next "big thing" will be when others also tire of the relentless flow of dross and advertising that the video medium has become. Any thoughts?

Ham radio 8-)

Nope. Ill stick to FTA. Really can't be arsed messing around with all that streaming nonsense. FTA means I don't feel obliged to watch "stuff" just to get my moneys worth.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 am

Kiwiiano wrote:On the same subject, the internet desperately needs the option of viewers being able to click on an ad and be assured they will never, never see that fucking ad ever again. Especially anything suggesting something is taking Invercargill by storm!!

Absolutely!

I would never advertise on YouTube for example because its "algorithm" and targeting systems are so stupid that they keep showing me the same ads, even though I've clicked the "I don't like this ad" (when shown) and despite the fact that I keep skipping the same ad over and over again. What a waste of money for the advertiser and a waste of placement opportunity for Google. :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm

i have been a member on tvnz on demand for 4-5 years now at least
i have used it well over 2 times
if that gives you the answer
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby mad mike » Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

nope I haven't had fta TV or any sort of streaming service for over 6 years got sick of the ads and crappy American content I don't even use you tube i usually read secondhand books are cheap entertainment
the square peg WILL fit in the roumd hole
mad mike

Postby roygbiv » Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 am

Nope, I only record FTA when there is anything half reasonable so I can FF the ads, even that is irritating. But why would I pay for something that is free presently. It is going to be a hard sell, but also another irritating thing about FTA is that they advertise upcoming programs, I wonder if the paid streaming service includes not having these, that will kill it immediately.
roygbiv

Postby hagfish » Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am

roygbiv wrote:why would I pay for something that is free presently

roygbiv wrote:the ads <snip> is irritating.

Re-mixed your comment - the answer was in there all along! Also, Netflix is trying to introduce ads. I will unsubscribe after seeing my first one, but I'm waiting until then.
hagfish

Next

Return to Today's column