The military have the best toys (12 May, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The military have the best toys (12 May, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0512.shtml

One of the few up-sides to war is the dramatic way it increases the pace of science and technology advancement.

WW2 saw an amazing amount of new tech appearing, much of which has become vitally important to life even today.

The military get some pretty cool toys as a result of all this investment and the Iron Dome is just one example. The whole Radar Guided Ordnance field is incredibly impressive in terms of what it does and the underlying technology.

But what of the future? What will wars look like once we've given up on fossil fuels?

Are EVs a viable option in a ground war?

Or will we forever keep a stockpile of diesel and petrol in case of hostlities and will be always fall back on the utility and practicality of ICEs for our military hardware?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The military have the best toys (12 May, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 am

There's an oft-quoted statistic - the energy contained in one barrel of oil is equivalent to an adult human performing manual labour - 40 hours a week - for 12 years. I can see the day when fossil fuels are priced out of the hands of private users, but I think they will retain a role for commercial use for a while yet - agriculture, aviation etc. Even as commercial users have to phase it out, the US military will not go thirsty.

It's nice to think we could step back from warfare, and join forces to fight the real threats, but, oh well.

EDIT: Even the US Defence Force's 'net zero' efforts belie the fact that the entire operation is a colossal waste of resources. Green-washing warfare...
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am

hagfish wrote:Even the US Defence Force's 'net zero' efforts belie the fact that the entire operation is a colossal waste of resources. Green-washing warfare...

How do you make zero-carbon napalm?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am

ethanol, animal fats, volatile vegetable oils and natural gelatine should work

ww2 was an interesting time
if you include the run up preparations for it as part of it
then we started at biplanes, optical ranged guns, sulphur antiseptic and lots of horses
10 years later its penicillin, high efficiency monoplanes, jets, low orbit capable rockets, precision radar guided guns, radio controlled video glide bombs and atomic weapons
quite the leap forward in all areas in less than a decade

military fuel will likely revolve around ethanol either as direct heat or fuel cells
it takes a bit to get a 70 tonne tank through the mud at 80kph
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Malcolm » Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm

As for Are EVs viable in a warzone?
A few years ago I read that the US Army was looking at getting some hybrid and electric powered Humvees for use in scouting/stealth operations. Apparently the roar of a ~6L V8 is very good for giving away your position when trying to move without being noticed.
Malcolm

Return to Today's column