The best paid IT job will surprise you (14 May, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The best paid IT job will surprise you (14 May, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 14, 2021 8:13 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0514.shtml

Forget about traditional IT jobs if you really want to maximise the return on your IT skills.

Crime is where it's at!

Ransomware hackers seem to be making a fortune these days and there aren't many practical ways to stop them or to catch them.

IT security is all-too-often an afterthought and an area where managers look to make themselves look better by trimming costs -- until it's too late.

Can't ban crypto because too many rich, powerful and influential people are well-invested in it.

And banning the payment of ransoms would risk governments being severely embarrassed if/when their own systems were victims of such an attack and they found themselves having to fork out to get things running again -- although as we know, "do as we say not as we do" is the currency of politics anyway.

How will we get rid of or at least reduce the risk of ransomware attacks to an acceptable level? (if there is such a thing)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The best paid IT job will surprise you (14 May, 2021)

Postby phill » Fri May 14, 2021 10:15 am

easy .. ban crypto
there will be very few genuine mom and pop investors that get caught in the backlash of holding worthless imaginary things
the relief on the planets resources making imaginary things will also be a bonus well worth the effort on its own

if you recall i have always been against crypto for both these reasons
the resources used to manufacture an imaginary thing shocked me to the max when i found out
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby goosemoose » Fri May 14, 2021 10:25 am

phill wrote:easy .. ban crypto

If you do that how you going to pay the ransomware merchants? They're hardly likely to give you a bank account to deposit the ransom in. :twisted:

I'm not really in favour of banning things and like all investments (gambling) there is an element of risk. It's up to you to weight things up. Human nature will always see people get involved in risky things. Comparisons to the share market could be made. I do agree that the amount of power used is quite extreme, reflected in the value I suppose.
goosemoose

Postby roygbiv » Sat May 15, 2021 8:22 am

goosemoose wrote:

If you do that how you going to pay the ransomware merchants? They're hardly likely to give you a bank account to deposit the ransom in. :twisted:

I'm not really in favour of banning things and like all investments (gambling) there is an element of risk. It's up to you to weight things up. Human nature will always see people get involved in risky things. Comparisons to the share market could be made. I do agree that the amount of power used is quite extreme, reflected in the value I suppose.

I agree, but there may be a ray of light shed upon this bitcoin business - started by Elon Musk and his statement about not accepting bitcoins for Tesla car payment. Never really liked the fellow but will give him credit for setting a precedent which hopefully be a turning point for bit-coin. Although bit-coin is a great concept for futures trading where the end product is basically nothing but a virtual currency, it is evolving into means of untraceable payment to the likes of organised crimes. And Elon Musk has seen the error of his way where the massively growing industry of bit-coin processing is so wasteful of many resources. Even TV1 News and entertainment program picked it up on it this week.
If other influential organisations followed suit it would devalue bitcoin further and we may all see this as just a house of cards about to crash.
roygbiv

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm

You want to know the easiest way to make money?

Steal it from a government department?
Non existent contractors, stray invoices, departments that don't exist. No one actually checks. Remember that Wage Subsidy?

As for the GCSB going full Titty on 'White Supremacists in New Zealand' and the 'Christchurch Call' - well that's literally cost 100's of millions and they only found one white supremacist that actually isn't . He's clearly a victimized painter with solvent damage leaving a pigs head outside a Mosque for shits and giggles.

The real issue that we face at the moment, is that the SIS went around known terrorists in the refugee and Muslim community post Christchurch and gave them Glocks, with higher capacity magazines.

These have not yet been all fully recovered. No surprises there.

Ooops was that just a serious security leak? I digress.

As for the Arms Registry that is coming up, internal Police communications indicate that it can cost anything from $200-400 million.

Yes, you read that right. A certain Colonel in the NZDF has offered to do it for $80,000 and then Internal Affairs say they can for it for $115 million.

After all, they do the passports. Right? Like how easy is it to get a fake passport these days?
GCSBIntercepts

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 17, 2021 8:49 am

roygbiv wrote:
goosemoose wrote:

I agree, but there may be a ray of light shed upon this bitcoin business - started by Elon Musk and his statement about not accepting bitcoins for Tesla car payment. Never really liked the fellow but will give him credit for setting a precedent which hopefully be a turning point for bit-coin. Although bit-coin is a great concept for futures trading where the end product is basically nothing but a virtual currency, it is evolving into means of untraceable payment to the likes of organised crimes. And Elon Musk has seen the error of his way where the massively growing industry of bit-coin processing is so wasteful of many resources. Even TV1 News and entertainment program picked it up on it this week.
If other influential organisations followed suit it would devalue bitcoin further and we may all see this as just a house of cards about to crash.

If you think Bitcoin is untraceable, perhaps you would like to buy this bridge I have for say, only 3 BTC.
Also Tesla will no longer accept Bitcoin for payment, Musk is apparently looking at alternative crypto currencies. Apparently he has been talking to the Dogecoin devs, he wants larger block size, more transactions per block and lower transaction fees.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 17, 2021 8:55 am

I think Musk's interactions with Bitcoin verge on market manipulation.

He buys a bunch of Bitcoin
He talks the market up and offers to accept BC for his cars
BC price goes up.
He sells a bunch of BC
$profit$
He stops accepting BC and talks the market down.

How is that not market manipulation, given his own collective wealth and the influence he weilds?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 17, 2021 9:38 am

He got slapped by the SEC for stock price manipulation, but because cryptos are still not under to purview of any regulatory body he has found a new playground. Along with a few other notable individuals (Such as Mark Cuban)
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 pm

aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm

no doubt
seems a pretty basic counter to this sort of attack
they need to run 2 separate systems ..
one for medical only with strict address control limited to only medical facilities and information
one for emails and trash use
and neer the twain should meet
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column