Why EVs will wreck the environment (14 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Why EVs will wreck the environment (14 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0614.shtml

Is the government really underestimating the pace at which EVs are going to become the favoured form of personal transport?

Are they woefully unprepared for the massive increase in EV numbers and flow-on effect this will have on our energy sector?

Will the rebates they're about to offer make things even worse and result in a country that faces electricity rationing and blackouts -- or a massively increased reliance on coal for power generation?

Instead of going for massive public works projects such as pumped water batteries, why not simply subsidise the installation of PVA units on homes and businesses in a way that will better allow our "batteries" (ie: the hydro lakes) to be conserved for when they're really needed? Wouldn't this strategy also lessen the load on the national grid and provide a great home for all those tired EV batteries in 8-9 year's time?

Or is the money-lust associated with centralised generation and sale by government-owned energy companies just too much for commonsense to prevail in the halls of power?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Why EVs will wreck the environment (14 Jun, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:52 am

It appears that we simply don't have enough renewable energy generation to service the needs of the country right now.

Nope - the issue is the Electricity landscape (Yes, still looking at you Max Bradford) and their need to earn the highest profit/Return that they can, so when it's cheaper to burn coal up North, and spill water from the Southern dams, then they will.

As for the E-car subsidy, that's not going to fix the transport mess that we've got: way too many private cars! Money needs to go into public transport, and e-bikes now for those who can use them, leaving the private cars for those who have no other option. 9 times out of 10 an e-bike will get most commuters from A to B in a similar time (and for the 10th time - wear a raincoat & raintrousers, stuff the fashion police!). Light rail, electric buses, subsidised bus services will all have a far better outcome long term than 5-10% off a new e-car for someone who's too rich to rub elbows with other commuters and prefers to rub bumpers.

[Edit] Forgot to mention efficiency: charging up a 25Kg e-bike for a 10km commute is going to use a little less juice than charging up a 1500kg Nissan Leaf for that same individual to do the same trip!

Still, it's a start I suppose.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:59 am

The problem with going e-bike is that what we save in terms of fuel and environmental costs will be paid double by ACC. I was all keen to get back in to cycling as a fitness and cost-saving measure -- until I actually took to the roads on a bike. After two rides I said "never again".

Bloody drivers (at least around here) treat you as if you're invisible and I value my life far too much to risk it mingling with sociopathic car and truck drivers whilst in a totally unprotected state!

The fact, as you mention, that most of our coal burning is a profit-making measure goes to show the folly of governments relying on dividends from their ownership of power companies. Either make them totally government owned/operated on a cost-recovery basis or make it totally commercial -- don't sit on both sides of the fence because you get the worst of both.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:05 am

Giving a subsidy to purchase a solar setup would be asking too much from this Gov, they lose control over you being (mainly) power independent. I like the idea of an electric car, but working from home and most facilities being within walking distance I'll hang on to my old $2000 fuel inefficient 2001 Honda Accord (mainly short town trips). Dead right on the dangers of bikes, I gave that away over 10 years ago. I'll save the e-biking for rail trails...
namartinnz

Postby psycik » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:28 am

Also invest in Vehicle to grid.....when you have these "hundreds and thousands" of EVs everyone is all worried about, they're a bunch of charged batteries sitting there waiting for be used, as long as it's full again when you need it.
psycik

Postby phill » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Remember, 50% of our energy generation sector is owned by the government and they receive huge sums by way of dividends every year from those companies. That does rather bias them away from the best solution (environmentally) towards the one that keeps the trough full, doesn't it?

the biggest problem with this bit is not the profit they require
but
the input into which brain dead moronic twits get hired for the board and ceo
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phord » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Sooner or later, the Gummit will introduce Road User Charges for EVs.
EVs won't be paying for road maintenance by way of the petrol pumps.

The EV charging stations could have a road tax added to the used KWHs, and this will make them more costly to use.
phord

Postby phill » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:22 pm

i still think this is the best time to go left hand drive
it just makes sense
most of the new models we want are atm only being made in LHD
we have to wait who knows how long before they add the RHD models to the lineup and they will always be more expensive
the only real infrastructure problems are all in auckland ( spaghetti junction etc ) no biggie anywhere else
ohh yehhh ... and the knuckle dragger's cannot buy aussie assembled hoew dones anymore anyway
Last edited by phill on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:25 pm

phord wrote:Sooner or later, the Gummit will introduce Road User Charges for EVs..

I think they already announced that RUC will kick in once the EV fleet reaches 5% of the total vehicle fleet. That'll be a lot sooner than most think and if they whack the same heavy charges on EVs as the put on 1 tonne diesel vehicles the results will not be pretty -- especially as NZ has one of the highest electricity prices in the developed world, despite the widespread use of renewables. -- there's that need to pay huge dividends to government ownership again :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm

This hasn't been well thought out has it?

This is what happens when you let these people ruin your society.

There are recordings of senior politicians deliberately scheming to utilize local councils to disrupt traffic, energy distribution networks, roads, water and waste management.

If the general public knew how badly the government was intentionally trying to disrupt NZ culture with race baiting, immigration and social justice they would revolt.
GCSBIntercepts

Next

Return to Today's column