Is e-waste the new gold? (15 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is e-waste the new gold? (15 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0615.shtml

Could the acute shortage of many chips be turning our e-waste into a veritable goldmine for those who are prepared to give all those old PCBs a quick once-over and extract a few components with a hot-air gun?

Might "reuse" of such components be a great thing for the planet and a valuable source of parts during times when stock levels are zero and lead times are measured in months?

Highly sought-after parts such as STM32 microcontrollers are already commanding up to 10 times their normal price -- if you can get them at all so there's real potential here perhaps.

With potential recovery rates measured in hundreds or thousands of dollars an hour... this isn't a process reserved for third-world countries any more.

Or should we just keep throwing our e-waste into containers and exporting all that value overseas?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is e-waste the new gold? (15 Jun, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am

Ali-Express components have not yet been delivered so we won't know for a few weeks
:lol:
... make that months with current shipping times!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Re: Is e-waste the new gold? (15 Jun, 2021)

Postby phill » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:14 am

2 years ago i sourced some N-Channel enhancement mode silicon gate
power field effect transistors. ( irf841) from aliexpress
unavailable anywhere else
all were second hand but came with a test and guarantee and resend if they didnt work
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column