No flu, no colds (16 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

No flu, no colds (16 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:44 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0616.shtml

Could it be that the next cold or bout of flu you catch will be much worse than the last one -- simply because your immune system has had a couple of years holiday due to the effects of our Covid precautions?

Did you get a flu-jab this year?

Have you really enjoyed being "healthier than usual" for the past year or so?

What will the future hold in terms of a resurgence of flu and colds?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: No flu, no colds (16 Jun, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:24 am

Yes, got my flu jab last week - free at work so why not? My last bout of flu was at the start of Jan last year and was by far the worst case I've ever experienced: out for 3-4 days, hallucinating, no taste, and took weeks to fully recover (on holiday so basically no contact with others for a couple of weeks except wifey - she went down with same 24 hours after me). This was in Central Otago over the holidays when busloads of Asian tourists were welcomed with open arms. 3 months later Dr assured me it couldn't possibly have been Covid since that didn't enter the country officially until Feb.

So, yes - will always take a jab if offered!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:34 am

Colleagues of mine who used to call in sick fairly regularly would claim to have a 'cold' or a 'sore throat' or whatever, and then 24 hours later they'd be back on deck. That excuse has worn a little thin! Other than those with small children, the likelihood of catching a cold is waay down, and the stigma is way up. They're having to come up with non-specific stomach issues instead. In a kinder society they'd be able to say they're doubled-over with cramps and feel like death, or just need a mental health day, but that's a ways off.

Our immune systems are trashing away 24/7. I do think living in a disinfected bubble can aggravate auto-immune problems, but I spend plenty of time in the garden, and I don't miss the coronaviruses.
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote: My last bout of flu was at the start of Jan last year and was by far the worst case I've ever experienced: out for 3-4 days, hallucinating, no taste, and took weeks to fully recover when busloads of Asian tourists were welcomed with open arms. !

not all doctors are as bright as they are taught to think they are
has all the markers of C19 ( as you have surmised )
you little spreader you .. lucky you for avoiding the long version or major comps

on the use it or lose it thing
yes quite likely the next lot of colds and flue's will be individually worse than pre C19 days
the rise in personal sanitation levels may make the spread less though
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby JonL » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Tell my wife the flu's not around. I had the jab a month ago and feel slightly seedy - she is like death warmed up, hacking, coughing, croaking......
JonL

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm

JonL wrote:Tell my wife the flu's not around. I had the jab a month ago and feel slightly seedy - she is like death warmed up, hacking, coughing, croaking......

Tell the media (if you can call stuff "news" media any more):

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/1 ... ogist-says
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulw » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Had my free flu jab about 6 weeks ago. The last time I had a flu like thing was Xmas 2019 which both my wife and I felt like death warmed up for about a week despite having the flu jabs. Covid maybe before it became a thing??
paulw

Return to Today's column