What a difference a decade (or two) makes (21 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What a difference a decade (or two) makes (21 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:41 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0621.shtml

Timing is everything.

Whether it's coming up with a practical electric car or a concept such as a backpack that lets you fly across the skies.

Have the Aussies nailed it with their latest attempt to create a flying backpack?

How did they succeed on a shoestring when so many others with millions of dollars in capital have failed so dysmally in the past?

Could it simply be that they waited until the technology was up to the task before engaging in what would otherwise be a fool's errand?

And should we be learning from these obvious examples of when NOT to waste your money trying to achieve things that are technologically beyond our reach -- before we waste huge sums trying to create a national system to manage drone traffic -- traffic that simply won't exist for *many* years to come?

Hint: poke your head out the nearest window and count the number of drones you see in the skies above you. Does that require a national traffic management system based on 2021 technology?

I think not -- but certain government-operated entities believe it is and they're prepared to waste taxpayers' money on it whilst burdening the few actual users of this airspace with crippling fees.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them perhaps?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What a difference a decade (or two) makes (21 Jun, 2021)

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 am

Every sort and type of low level flying gizmo, from jet packs to copters to anti-grav sleds; ALL have the same problem.

Any sort of failure at whatever altitude below the level at which a parachute would successfully deploy.

That's why they are all test-piloted over water. It's more forgiving than terra firma.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:57 am

That's why they're so good at creating an adrenaline rush!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 pm

486B6DE9-AC1B-4EBF-80E0-6629AB639932.jpeg
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby roygbiv » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:25 pm

And what makes you think that this will be welcomed with open arms by CAA, they will legislate the rrrs. off it just like drones, as it will treading on their turf.
Plus, it will join the little group that shares an interest in something like gyrocopters.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:17 pm

An update.

Quite a few of my YouTube subscribers commented that they thought the CopterPack video was fake... so I did a video analysing the footage and identified a number of things that simply did not add up, pointing to it indeed being not what it claimed.

Once that video was published, the CopterPack guy Matthew Lipski tried to get YouTube to take down my video on "copyright" grounds.

He failed... YT said it qualifies for protection under "fair use".

Why did he try to get my video taken down if he had nothing to hide?

Looks like it's a fake -- but why?

Could CopterPack be looking for VC and decided to "exagerate" their capabilities in order to be more "investable"???

I don't know -- but it does make you wonder doesn't it?

MJP may have competition as the biggest joke in the jetpack world :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby cjet » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:09 am

I am going to go out on a lim here
And design a successful trust pack
Add an extra lim and make it a tri copter

Simple and effective.

Now teather it with 100m of rope
(What could possibly go wrong flying through a forest

And you have your het of sir jet pack

Now how hard was that

My advert video will be demonstrated in the twin towers collapse

The tri cooter out 50m and up the hypotinus of a triangle and you swing like tarsal holding a RC transmitter with teather around your upper torso harness.

You fly out the window and away from the burning building

One by one 3,000 people float to saftey below untangled from one another

The 100m teather can also carry current and another teather below can carry the battery pack

So if you take off from the ground the tri copter gets up to 100m and takes the weight of the man then lifts the women to 100m in the air before the battery pack is ready to be pulled off the ground.

In times of lack of power descents the battery back will lighten the load on the way down giving 100m of reduced unslung mass assuming the unpack does not deform the batteries hence the power to the tri copter will be lost.

So I will patent my idea if this not not read into the public domaine.

And if no paren then I will just IPO it with Covid 19 protection if you want to rise above a crowd.

See a non mask person coming towards you then up and away to the limit of your teather

If the no mask person as sizzors then clips your power teather at 100m get your shin pads ready.
cjet

Return to Today's column