The crazy world of app programming (23 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The crazy world of app programming (23 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0623.shtml

What a change I've seen in the way we program computers over the past almost 50 years.

What was so very simple, back in the day of 8-bit microprocessors and ROM-based debug monitors, has now become incredibly complex.

Getting to grips with a new environment and languages such as those required for Android app development is a great challenge and I'm really enjoying it -- but it really does remind me that, as a programmer, I'm well past my "best-by" date.

Do you have any experiences you'd like to relate when it comes to coding for Android or just about the evolution of programming in general?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The crazy world of app programming (23 Jun, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 am

Coming from the Procedural world of coding - *cough*COBOL*cough* - I struggled to change to an object-oriented world when dabbling with these new-fangled languages. Currently playing with micropython - now that's fun! Still using a basic notepad-level editor so no great IDE, but fun all the same. This is re-entering the world of physical sensor and microcontrollers. :D
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Wetherman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:43 am

Sounds like my experiences are similar to yours Bruce: don't stop now! I'm playing with a gadget to configure a product which uses Modbus. I've got a little micropython Adafruit Feather thing with an RS485 serial interface, and all I'm trying to do is connect to it via Bluetooth Low Energy from Android and change the values in some registers. The Android tool I picked was MIT Appinventor which looks like a 5 year-old could drive it, but it's both frustrating and rewarding in the same way a game of chess can be. In a word, Fun!
I'm happy that today's kids have the tools to do this stuff easily: there was a gap in the nineties and noughties where it got quite hard.
Wetherman

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:45 am

Nothing wrong with COBOL GSV! Perfect for what it does. Just this morning I've had to debug a PERL script but if I can I'll use Python. With that and in conjunction with the QT toolkit you can whip up some pretty cool GUI stuff. I haven't done any Android development, I hate Java being the main reason. One of these days I'll have a look and see what all this fuss about Rust is about. I have also been poking around with Raku, or PERL 6 as it's known. That will take a bit to get my head around and I'm not really sure if its worth it these days.

Forgot to add GSV if you're looking for a pretty cool Python IDE have a look at Eric6. VSCode is also OK too.
goosemoose

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 am

goosemoose wrote:Forgot to add GSV if you're looking for a pretty cool Python IDE have a look at Eric6. VSCode is also OK too.

Thanks Goose, will look into it. Currently using Thonny with micropython & Pi Pico, but will investigate VSCode as well.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Return to Today's column