A drop in the ocean (25 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A drop in the ocean (25 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:39 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0625.shtml

Just because our efforts to mitigate climate change may be but a drop in the ocean and have no practical effect does not mean we shouldn't give it our best -- does it?

Or is it time to also start planning for a world that will be far different to the one we've enjoyed to date?

Are we (once again) leaving things far too late? Should we have already been well on the way to changing our technologies, processes, systems and practices to cope with a much warmer and more turbulent planet?

How will future generations see us as we sit back and watch the world change before our very eyes without laying down the foundations for our descendants to better cope?

Or should we just retire to the beer fridge and play spectator whilst the inevitable comes to pass?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A drop in the ocean (25 Jun, 2021)

Postby Perry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am

Bruce wrote:I've seen no verified numbers but it would not be had to imagine that the effect on climate of tens or hundreds of thousands of square Km worth of warmed permafrost would make NZ's contribution look like a drop in the ocean. Of course that doesn't mean we ought not do our best to reduce our own emissions but recent changes that put NZ company directors at risk of imprisonment if they fail to report on the climate change effects of their businesses does seem a bit harsh.

Sadly, it seems that unless there's money to be made (by way of taxation or forced adoption of profitable goods and services), we'll just keep ignoring the problem and rely on our descendants to deal with things as they happen.

Your last paragraph says it all, really.

Well, except for it being another opportunity for the present crop of commie clowns in W'gton - together with their deceitful and conniving spin doctors - to scaremonger more loudly as they take away even more personal rights and freedoms from the sleep-walking populace. (Something you've commented on, recently.)
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:53 am

The planet is dying from 6 billion pin-pricks, just because we are only 4 million pricks, there’s no reason we shouldn’t pull our weight in avoiding catastrophe. In fact, because we are well inside the wealthiest 1%, all the more reason for us to try harder.

I’m not sure about the “news wires running hot” on the Arctic heatwave, that’s been a hot topic for several years, really only ‘news’ to those who haven’t been paying attention.

And “mankind’s activities…this aspect is still open to debate”….Ordure!! The measurement of the heat-trapping qualities of the greenhouse gases, particularly CO2 and methane, is a 3rd form science experiment and the link to fossil fuels was pinned down decades ago.

Also not sure about the ‘mild winters’, the evidence so far points to more and more erratic winters, epic rainfalls and floods alternating with polar blasts. Ditto for lovely hot summers by the beer frig, when the ‘hot’ is over 40°C and the frig power supply is flakey due to hydro lake levels and Gummint dithering about getting grid-sized solar action. Be careful what you wish for!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am

To be honest, I think household energy independence is not too far down the road and governments (with their huge stake in centralised power generation companies) are being very careful not to promote such things -- perhaps even prevent them.

When PVAs and such with battery backups become more practical, affordable and available I think we can almost guarantee a tax on such things -- in the name of saving the planet or something equally as conjured up by the politicians.

Perhaps they've finally taken action to promote EVs because they realise that this is one way to ensure continued reliance on grid-based power and the hefty dividends it represents for government and its friends. The benefits to the planet are purel secondary, I dare to suggest.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Ahhhhh

You have been well programmed!

Congratulations!

There is no such thing as global warming from man made activities.

You can plant all the trees you want, tax everything, ban petrol, diesel. You will just impoverish yourselves. these are not solutions but props in the charade.

Just do the maths on 500,000 Auckland electric vehicles plugging into the grid at 6 PM?
GCSBIntercepts

Postby phill » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:03 pm

its auckland .. most will not be home by 6

and congratulations you have been tin hatted
i presume its pipsqueak poot the poisoner's bullshit your eating up
who knows if it wasn't for gazprom he might have a view 180 from his public one
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Panic not, everyone.

The science is settled.

Most people with an IQ above room temperature know that science is never settled.
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm

same as most know that when the odds are 99 / 1
and the choices are
eat or die
go with the logical progression
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby stoatwblr » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:34 am

There is a bigger problem staring us in the face whilst we race around like headless chickens worrying about minor things like sea level rises

Populations can move away from orising seas and can build stronger shelters for wilder weather

Populations can't move away from decreasing global oxygen levels

250 million years ago when temperatures followed a similar pattern (over a longer time period), that was the end game when marine methane clathrate deposits started blowing out around what is now Siberia

The final rapid rise in CO2 levels resulted in acid rain killing most terrestrial vegetation (and land animals) - leading to extreme erosion patterns.

meantime ocean oxygen levels plummeted, acidity increased and "red tides on steroids" laid down large algal deposits we are now burning for fuel (the permian oil deposits)

The final extinction pule took less than a decade to play out. Global atmospheric oxygen levels dropped to 11% for 10,000 years (that's lower than the top of Everest and not survivable by most mammals or birds) and it took more than 10 million years before coal beds started being created again

Methane clathrate beds in the Laptev sea (siberia) have been bubbling out at increasing rates since 2004.

Will this turn into a blowout? Will other beds blow out? Are we dicing with our very existence?
Will our great grandchildren be around to SEE major sea level changes?
stoatwblr

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:38 pm

Oh no!

Perish the Horror!

Anyone here know any real scientists that can dispute these claims? Or are we just reading stories from the media?

Certainly an excellent opportunity to genocide, sorry, reduce the global population in the name of saving the planet?
After all, they will go willingly into the night.

Vaccine anyone?
GCSBIntercepts

Next

Return to Today's column