The WD My Book vulnerability (28 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The WD My Book vulnerability (28 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:57 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0628.shtml

Do people no longer understand what a backup is or why they are so important?

Have our modern devices become so reliable and so "point and click" that users no longer give much thought to "what if" and the safety of their data?

How do you back your stuff up these days? USB-hard-drive? Cloud? USB-thumb-drive? Audio Cassette Tape? Punched paper tape? :-)

Or do, apparently like so many people, you just cross your fingers and hope for the best?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The WD My Book vulnerability (28 Jun, 2021)

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:34 am

It seems a bit optimistic using cloud storage, given the tale you've repeated showing it was hackers, rather than storage device failure.

The best I've managed is a server out in a (separate) garage with two 3Tb RAID drives and a segmented, daily back-up to it from my computer such that after a week, there's effectively a full back-up of my computer. In week four, the week one back-up is dumped and replaced. And so it rolls . . .
Perry

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:01 am

Is the hackers line just an excuse? It's the believable PR go to reason for corporate f-ups these days, especially in the US/West. I'm always sceptical.

Anyway who in their right mind would open up their storage to the internet? I find that a little bit hard to fathom.
goosemoose

Postby joeseph » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 am

goosemoose wrote:Anyway who in their right mind would open up their storage to the internet? I find that a little bit hard to fathom.

It's my understanding that these "cloud managed" units connect to the cloud even from behind a firewall, so anyone that plugs one in to their network could be at risk.
If it were me, I'd be removing the default gateway, much like I do with security cameras from China.
joeseph

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:46 pm

The important line from today's essay is "and check to make sure that the restore process works reliably."

I had three clients (one of them a school) who carefully backed up faithfully every day but never checked "restore" until the mission-critical HD went titzup and WAAAAAAHH!!! The backup drives were empty and/or unreadable.

It is an increasing challenge as you say, Bruce. Data bloats relentlessly and while the $/TB drops, we also see the drive capacities increasing, I would prefer to have 4 x 1TB with multiple duplicates local/behind a fire wall and off-site than 1x4TB. Except I can't really afford to stroll out and buy 4x 1TB....

I suppose we are still better off than out ancestors who could see their entire collection of family documents, treasures and photos wiped out in a fire or flood.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby greven » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:54 pm

"Easy" tech always has a hidden cost
greven

Postby jo2lo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Oh yeah, carry out all those meticulous backups, then leave your flash drive / USB SSD or whatever lying on top of that computer. So easy for it to go away with the next fire / burglar / tornado / earthquake.
At least move that flash drive to the other side of the house, or even better out to the tool shed in the garden. Oh, and make sure that backup is encrypted before a crypto hacker does it for you!

Many in my family have all their photos still residing inside their mobile phone, they never back these images across to their PC. It boggles the mind how little consideration people give to their precious memories and data these days.
If you have family living nearby, backup your data and encrypt onto a flash drive, and entrust the extended family to be the offsite repository for these.
PS, whatever you do, don't forget the password for your encryption keys!!!! :lol: :lol:
jo2lo

Postby jo2lo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:01 pm

Perry wrote:It seems a bit optimistic using cloud storage, given the tale you've repeated showing it was hackers, rather than storage device failure.

The best I've managed is a server out in a (separate) garage with two 3Tb RAID drives and a segmented, daily back-up to it from my computer such that after a week, there's effectively a full back-up of my computer. In week four, the week one back-up is dumped and replaced. And so it rolls . . .

Be sure to password and encrypt that backup data. I've seen backups wiped clean by the crypto hacker looking for attached NAS devices.
jo2lo

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 pm

Good advice, but beyond my skill set.
Perry

Postby cjet » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:16 am

I found my email below won’t send and sits in the out box
So since I can post here I will bypass censorship
But original 6440 characters and only permitted 6,000 (Bruce please up it to 9999!)

Chapter 61

Ivermectin meta analysis.

I have said before that solar system law is heading into science in a way that puts DNA and Thorium fission with law jurisprudence and asks fir a landscape into the solar system to be blueprinted.

So Covid 19 symptoms are 2020-2021 have tge workd focused on vaccines and economic disruptions.

In new Zeakand expoet of food market nz is 20,000 containers short and no shipping lines cost effective to empty nz over full cool stores.

The world is going hungry to New Zealand food because we have run out of containers and ships to take it economically to market.

Yu muvii Joe Rogan Brett Weinstein Kory Ivermectin Podcast Mashup of highlights part 2 (Jun 25, 2021) <https://youtu.be/oxWrnI5yBjw>

This video is 12:21 long.

Solar system law will take the science and have a solar system health organisation (SSHO) that will let a media wing state facts in a way that are not censored by governments and corporate interests.

Can the SSHO be sued by a government?

Or can all individuals have access to information.

The debate we post in the notes [1] is about wiping Covid out of the solar system.

But the questions raised is about money flows on vaccinations.

How much did NZ borrow over 3 years for pandemics. $140,000,000,000.00 (NZ$0.140 trillion )

That is $30,000 for every msn women and child in New Zealand.

100% increase in debt to GDP. From 20% gdp to net debt. “At no point now is net debt forecast to go above 50 percent of GDP. While the headline numbers show a peak of 48 percent, looking through the impact of the Reserve Bank’s Funding for Lending programme, net debt is forecast to be 41.4 percent in 2025.” 2021 budget from Finance Minister <https://www.beehive.govt.nz/speech/finance-ministers-budget-2021-speech>[2]

The other matter is proceeds of crimes act

Bruce Simpson No. Just No (Jun 30, 2021) <https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0630.shtml>
Is printed in full in footnotes with permissions from the author (just attribute to aardvark.co.nz)

Footnote

Yu muvii Joe Rogan Brett Weinstein Kory Ivermectin Podcast Mashup of highlights part 2 (Jun 25, 2021) <https://youtu.be/oxWrnI5yBjw>

Bruce Simpson No. Just No (Jun 30, 2021) <https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0630.shtml>

“No. Just No
30 June 2021

An effective police force is an essential part of any modern society.
Sadly, there are, and probably always will be, people within our society who lack the ethics, honesty and integrity to play fairly (no, I'm not just talking about politicians either).
These people will rob, steal, rape, murder and effectively violate others in order to get what they want and that is simply unacceptable.
You can not have the rule of law without enforcement of that law, and this is where the police come in.

So, as you can see, I'm not anti-police. In fact all my interactions with police have been very positive, albeit I've only ever been a victim, witness or third party in such dealings.
However...

Police can also get things wrong and since they have been gifted immense powers over "regular folk", their actions must always be subject to close scrutiny and control.

Sadly, we read of far too many instances in recent years when the term "unlawful" has been associated with the actions of police. Even more sadly, such unlawful actions seldom produce any real censure or penalty for those who are the perpetrators of such actions -- hence they still occur.
One of the most contentious things police do within the legal framework under which they operate, is the seizure of property and assets under "the proceeds of crime" act.
This piece of legislation is, in my honest opinion, an unacceptable extension of police powers that ought to be revoked or at least significantly reworked.
I've written about it before and expressed my concern that police should be able to take your money and/or your assets without proof and without even so much as a charge being laid in the courts. This is completely contrary to the "innocent until proven guilty" concept on which our justice system is built.
Now, the effects of this act have been take a step further in a very nasty way that I firmly believe to be an outrageous abuse of power.
According to this story running in the NZH, police are seeking to seize the assets of a man who has already been convicted and punished by the courts for multiple "Health & Safety" breaches at his business.
According to the report, police now seek to seize his properties as "the proceeds of crime", despite the fact that it is not their job to mete out punishments nor penalties, that is the sole perogative of the courts.
If this succeeds it sets a very, very

(Truncated 444 words from this pit)

Fortunately the court seem to have taken a rather dim view of the police's proposed actions in this case and are demanding that they be prepared to cover the costs, should their attempts to force a forfeiture of these assets fails. Bloody good job!
However, I firmly believe that this is just more evidence to suggest that this Act is unreasonable and an anathema to the concept of fairness and true justice.
What do readers think?
Sure, the goals of the Proceeds of Crime Act are laudable but without checks and balances it simply gives far too much power to a group (the police) who have already proven that they are prepared to act "unlawfully" when it suits them.”

Bibkiography

Sent from my iPhone”
cjet

Return to Today's column