SIS accesses CCTV but I do not care (29 Jun, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SIS accesses CCTV but I do not care (29 Jun, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0629.shtml

Who gives a damn if the SIS is tapping into city CCTV systems that monitor public spaces?

What is far more concerning is the loss of our ability to remain anonymous when simply going about our lawful activities without posing a threat to anyone.

As we continue the slide towards facsism perhaps we should stop and remember that many men risked and even gave their lives to protect us against this kind of state abuse of our freedoms. We do not honour their memories or sacrifices by now giving up those freedoms without a wimper.

However, I remember their bravery, courage and actions to protect those freedoms every time I remind myself that laws, rules and regulations are only effective by consent and that so long as I live life by my own much loftier morals, ethics and principles, those rules have become largely irrelevant due to their contempt for our freedoms.

See y'all in court :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SIS accesses CCTV but I do not care (29 Jun, 2021)

Postby Wetherman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 am

I wonder why the SIS would spend millions of our money buying foreign FR expertise when they can employ some youngsters here and get some ESP32-CAM modules ($12 including camera and open-source Arduino including FR development kit) and do it themselves. I guess they have some buddies who need their muzzles in the trough too.
Wetherman

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:26 am

To be honest I'm of the same mind - no worries about CCTV in public spaces. In fact I'd like to see those cameras online and available to all as public webcams. That way it's all open - the CCTV version of full disclosure.
But individual tracking, be it for Govt-based agencies, or worse - business interests, is a big nope.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Old man yells at clouds.

aardvark_admin wrote:As we continue the slide towards facsism perhaps we should stop and remember that many men risked and even gave their lives to protect us against this kind of state abuse of our freedoms. We do not honour their memories or sacrifices by now giving up those freedoms without a wimper.

Can you provide a list of freedoms we've given up? Face it as the world gets more and more crowded, global and angry it's inevitable that there will be more and more regulation. I'm not a fan of it but there you go.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:01 pm

goosemoose wrote:Old man yells at clouds.
Can you provide a list of freedoms we've given up?

Let's see:

- the freedom to keep our passwords to ourselves and not be forced to hand them over to Plod if he merely suspects us of wrong-doing.

- the freedom to be presumed "innocent" of any law-breaking without "reasonable cause" rather than be presumed guilty and have to prove otherwise at a roadside checkpoint or whatever.

- the freedom to hold an honest opinion in respect to race, gender or religious belief without fear of cancellation by the WOKE masses

- the freedom to rely on the courts to dish out punishment for law-breaking without the Police deciding to add extra punitive penalties of their own (see tomorrow's column for that story).

- the freedom to own a semi-automatic rifle for sporting purposes.

- the freedom to not be unreasonably surveiled by agencies of the state operating "unlawfully".

- the freedom to fly a 50 gram foam toy plane in the local park or over any grassy field 3.9Km from a deserted rural airfield

I could go on but this is all that springs immediately to mind in 60 seconds or less :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm

But we still have the freedoms to do most of that. I can't be bothered to go into the stupid "old man raging" stuff like honest opinions and drink driving checkpoints. But basically what you're saying is you can't accept change and you still want to live in the 1950s. Anyway cheer up its not as bad as you think, stop looking for stuff that will blow your foo-foo valve.

I do like your semi-auto sporting firearms one though. I presume you're OK with gang members owning them? For sporting purposes of course.
aardvark_admin wrote:

Can you provide a list of freedoms we've given up?

Let's see:

- the freedom to keep our passwords to ourselves and not be forced to hand them over to Plod if he merely suspects us of wrong-doing.

- the freedom to be presumed "innocent" of any law-breaking without "reasonable cause" rather than be presumed guilty and have to prove otherwise at a roadside checkpoint or whatever.

- the freedom to hold an honest opinion in respect to race, gender or religious belief without fear of cancellation by the WOKE masses

- the freedom to rely on the courts to dish out punishment for law-breaking without the Police deciding to add extra punitive penalties of their own (see tomorrow's column for that story).

- the freedom to own a semi-automatic rifle for sporting purposes.

- the freedom to not be unreasonably surveiled by agencies of the state operating "unlawfully".

- the freedom to fly a 50 gram foam toy plane in the local park or over any grassy field 3.9Km from a deserted rural airfield

I could go on but this is all that springs immediately to mind in 60 seconds or less :-)
goosemoose

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:42 pm

There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:46 pm

goosemoose wrote:I do like your semi-auto sporting firearms one though. I presume you're OK with gang members owning them? For sporting purposes of course.

Ah there's your problem. Do you really think that "banning" semi-automatic firearms from public ownership causes gangs to say "oh no, we must not keep our semi-autos, let's hand them in straight away"?

Of course not. These guns have been removed from the hands of all law-abiding gun owners (the people who are NOT the problem) but clearly (as witnessed by the results of many subsiquent police raids) they remain in the hands of the gangs themselves.

So what has the ban achieved?

It has removed the freedoms of those who were doing NOTHING wrong and had no affect on the freedoms of those who ARE the problem element.

This is a good thing?

I think not.

And remember, the *real* reason we lost that freedom was because the POLICE themselves failed to follow their own procedures and properly vet the idiot who shot up the mosque and killed all those people.

So once again... those who pay the penalty are those did NOTHING wrong and this all becomes a giant "feel-good" blame-shifting farce.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:00 pm

you only have to look at the number of pistols / handguns found to know that illegal firearms are available to gang members ( and hence legislation does not work )
these have been strictly controlled for quite some time and yet models made well after that legislation came into force are part of the inventory
expect a lot more in the hands of the aussie 501's that came over
they have aussie contacts and there is wayyy more availability of them over there
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:05 pm

It's a sad fact of life that laws only affect the law-abiding -- who are clearly not the problem element.

There are much better ways to solve some problems.

For example, drink-driving has *always* been illegal but it was rife for many, many years -- until the very clever idea of changing society's perspective on the acceptability of this behaviour was conceived. Now drink-driving is far less of a problem because *people* and social standards have changed. Social pressure is a far greater modifier of human behaviour than any law.

In areas where social behaviour already runs strongly against some kind of activity or behaviour, harsher laws seldom make any difference to *actual* offending -- and the firearms issue is a perfect case in point.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column