Travel bubble lunacy (5 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Travel bubble lunacy (5 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:00 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0705.shtml

What lunacy is this -- opening a travel bubble with a country that still has community spread of the CV19-delta variant?

Will the paltry few million dollars that this bubble *might* earn us offset the risk to our vulnerable and aged should/when one of those Aussie tourists brings the virus into our own community?

And even if nobody dies, how much more will it cost the nation's economy to enter yet another lockdown (like the one in Wellington last week) if we do find another Aussie with CV19 in our midst?

This seems like a huge folly -- until such time as we have more of our own community vaccinated against the disease.

What do you say? Am I over-reacting or has the government lost its mind (assuming it ever had one)?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Travel bubble lunacy (5 Jul, 2021)

Postby GadgetFreak » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:06 am

Totally agree with you on this, Bruce.
And no, I don't consider your (our) viewpoint as an over-reaction: I consider it reasonable to open the borders post, not pre widespread NZ vaccinations.
I can't see any justification but that of political pressure.
GadgetFreak

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:29 am

And now we have the Delta-plus variant to deal with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoFsLxhdi8
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 am

Bloody infuriating! All this from business shouting that they can't survive & losing money. Well, suck it up, buttercup!! We proved (and so did the rest of the world in the opposite direction) last year that stopping the spread and looking after people first is the best way to get an economy going again:
- look after the people first and business will follow after a lag
- look after business interests and people will fall - and business will also collapse after a lag.

It seems the whiny tourism business leaders have ear-bashed the politicians into following the Aussie less-than-cautious approach, but the difference with NZ is that WE ARE NOT VACCINATED YET. We dodged a bullet with Wellington but it still cost businesses there a lot just with a L2 lockdown. Yes, popping the bubble will hit the Tourism market in the pocket, hard. No question there. The alternative is a very high chance of hitting people NZ-wide hard, then businesses hard (including tourism!).

Reminds me of that saying "Some of you may die, but it's a risk I'm willing to take."
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby joeseph » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:12 am

Every now and then the government comes up with a good idea, this is not one of them.
joeseph

Postby dingram17 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:53 am

aardvark_admin wrote:This seems like a huge folly -- until such time as we have more of our own community vaccinated against the disease.

As bad as the vaccination rates are in NZ, they're still higher than what's been achieved in Australia. Latest outbreak in NSW is in an aged care home, where 2/3 of staff have NOT been vaccinated. As the Washington Post described it, Australia has a "vaccine stroll-out".

I don't like having Queensland's borders open to NSW, and I can't see why NZ is rushing to keep the "bubble" open other than for big business lobbying. Just have a look at how the clowns in Bondi are behaving during their two week "lockdown" -- you do not want them in your community. Four days in Brisbane of what would be L3 in NZ (no such sensible naming conventions here, each set of controls is made up as the governments stagger from one outbreak to the next) seems to be much more effective than the "we'd prefer you stayed at home, if it's not too much bother" that NSW has.
dingram17

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:48 am

joeseph wrote:Every now and then the government comes up with a good idea, this is not one of them.

Re the current lot of sociopathic-commies, just how many good ideas of theirs can you think of?
Perry

Postby phill » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:04 pm

in this case .. anything they have done is better than national wanted them to do

stupidity is endemic at the bi hive

as the movie said .... the lesser of two weevils
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby roygbiv » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:55 pm

We are running the risk of descending into the sh!tshow that is happening in Europe and US insofar as management of COVID19. Everyone have the jab is not going to be the panacea of this pandemic. I haven't heard so much recently but the experts were saying that the jab will be resilient for only a few months on a person, with an exception of the variants that are occurring.

What this government need to do is have a long term plan of how it will continue this isolation and protection it has given. With or without the ozzie bubble and set up a rule base of how the continuation of the bubble with oz. By keeping the public informed of intentions and rules has been the strength of NZ resilience to date, and that the peoples health is priority.
roygbiv

Postby joeseph » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:58 pm

Perry wrote:
joeseph wrote:Every now and then the government comes up with a good idea, this is not one of them.

Re the current lot of sociopathic-commies, just how many good ideas of theirs can you think of?

This lot? let me think.... hmmmmm..... er....... there must be something!

Matariki public holiday? ;)
joeseph

Next

Return to Today's column