Plague, pestilance, now famine? (13 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Plague, pestilance, now famine? (13 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0713.shtml

What's your take on the Bible?

Are you concerned that we seem to have the golden trifecta that marks "the end of the world", at least according to the scriptures?

Or is the Bible, like so many works containing predictions of future events, just a very cleverly crafted work of ambiguity and vagueness that satiates people's needs to beleive that *someone* knows what's going to happen to us?

Remember: Carpe Diem!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Plague, pestilance, now famine? (13 Jul, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:16 am

I think it acts as something of a mirror. Those who are inclined to cruelty and condemnation will find it aplenty in the likes of Leviticus - the capricious, jealous, vengeful god of the Old Testament. Those who come to it from a place of compassion and courage will find lots to support their world view in the teachings of Jesus and the Pauline Gospels. Those who want to be told what to do and think via binary black/white, good/evil dictates will find them carved in stone. Meanwhile there's inspiration for those simply looking to meditate on the great mystery of Creation. Something for everyone. I must read it again, one day.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:14 am

Maybe all the Jehova's Witnesses here in Morrinsville have died as the church has been closed since lock down level 4 last year.
paulw

Postby phill » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:11 pm

i think they have forgone the large group meetings and street visits as saviours
i got my second ( seemingly ) hand written note in my mail box from them last week ( about a year after the first )
postulating they may have gone to small group meetings and the post as covid measures
so the dead church may be just temporary not so much a change in direction, method or popularity
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Yes, I read a story in the media suggesting that they've switched from prothletyzing in person at your doorstep to making phonecalls and using letters dropped in mailboxes. Makes sense I guess -- if you're not totally 100% sure that God is going to protect you from CV19 :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GOM-RH » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:12 pm

I think that to describe the god of the old testament as capricious, jealous, vengeful is illogical. One described as the creator would make the rules and act outside of the understanding of the created. The jealously of the OT concerns the right “as creator” to be seen as above other gods, not one of a list of character flaws. Vengeful would imply that (the) god was physically hurt or offended and responding, not appropriately applied to the creator.
Yes the bible is a mirror, but not in the way of the echo chamber of social media reinforcing world views. Rather it challenges world views - showing the reader who and what he/she is (and capable of). Something for everyone; I’m reading it again for (yet) another time.
GOM-RH

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Exo 34:14 wrote:For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

The Buybull and similar ravings of all time have one objective: controlling people. Not controlling them for the people's benefit, but for the benefit of a few. And as with all con tricks, there must always be an element of veracity, or value, or plausible truth to camouflage the lies and deception.

As for the witlesses, pity on, or wonder about them?
Mar 13:3 wrote:And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked Jesus privately, tell us, when shall these things be and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?
Mar 13:32 wrote:Of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

But the witlesses keep on keeping on, always getting father[sic] and father from the truth, each time.
Perry

Postby cjet » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:39 am

Week to drink water
Month to consume food
So that gives most people a week
And 3 billion of 8 struggle over the month

So farmers who grow the food are 10 times
No Farmers are 100 times more important that city dwellers

You can see where good governance is going

Important for maintained infrastructure

But oil has cities bigger
Bigger than coal made cities
So water supply is key then electricity