Tipping point? (15 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Tipping point? (15 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0715.shtml

I tire of the constant hypocritical rhetoric that gushes forth from the mouths of our politicians, bureaucrats and marketers.

Whilst appearing to be pro-environment and "clean & green" on the surface, closer inspection would seem to indicate that we are amongst some of the worst offenders when it comes to environmental bad-behaviour.

We have deforested a greater percentage of our land than South America.

We imported and burned significant amounts of dirty coal while pretending to be focused on "renewables".

We subsidise the toxic methane emissions of industries such as dairy farming in preference to plantation forestry

We make specious claims to the world about our green credentials but fail to live up to those claims

Could we do better? Should we do better? Will we do better?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Tipping point? (15 Jul, 2021)

Postby joeseph » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:54 am

yes, yes, and sadly probably not....
joeseph

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 pm

As I understand it, NZ is importing coal because the current crop of socio-commie clowns did a lot to prevent or restrict local coal production. Seems that the name of the woodenheads' game is import dirty coal to generate electricity to charge NZ's clean, green EV fleet.

Is it correct that EVs have no aircon and little-to-no heating?
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Perry wrote:As I understand it, NZ is importing coal because the current crop of socio-commie clowns did a lot to prevent or restrict local coal production. Seems that the name of the woodenheads' game is import dirty coal to generate electricity to charge NZ's clean, green EV fleet.

most of the ( very few ) ev's we have atm would be charged off peak .. mostly because thats when they are not being used .. so no

it's a battery and electric motor drawing a shit ton of current .. heating would be an easy add to the cabin
i used to have my ac drained on all the cars i had when i was in aussie .. its a false cooling .. its never enough to make you feel cool for more than the few minutes your body takes to alter to the new heat level .. and they create a constant ac cold ( cough sneezy type )

as far as needing them in a car ( apart from demisting ) piff its a replacement for a friken horse not a health spa .. wear the right clothes .. your body will appreciate it when you get out of the car
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:00 pm

I have to admit that even though the AC still works in my truck, I never had to use it once last summer. I just never felt the heat and walked a lot anyway.

It is handy for demisting the windscreen on a cold morning though.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Perry wrote:As I understand it, NZ is importing coal because the current crop of socio-commie clowns did a lot to prevent or restrict local coal production. Seems that the name of the woodenheads' game is import dirty coal to generate electricity to charge NZ's clean, green EV fleet.

Supposedly we are importing coal because the quality of most of the stuff mined here in NZ was so shit and full of impurities it wasn't really that useful for much. Also I don't think any coal mines have closed since before Labour came in to power. Quite a few closed during the last National led government because international coal prices plummeted to less than the cost to pull it out of the ground.

Also it is absolutely not correct that EVs have no aircon or heating. Using it does reduce your range by about 20-30KM in an early gen Leaf so it is often used sparingly.
Malcolm

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:10 pm

phill wrote:
most of the ( very few ) ev's we have atm would be charged off peak .. mostly because thats when they are not being used .. so no

Any special reason you skipped any reference to NZ importing 'dirty' coal?

Even with the NZ gummint bought-and-paid-for-mudstream media saying:
Last year, 235 kilograms of overseas coal was imported for every New Zealander in order to power homes and businesses. This is also only imported coal; the country also produces coal domestically.
Perry

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Malcolm wrote:Supposedly we are importing coal because the quality of most of the stuff mined here in NZ was so shit and full of impurities it wasn't really that useful for much.

Good to know how wrong the 'official' sources are.
MBIE wrote:Most of New Zealand's premium bituminous coal is exported. It's valued internationally for its: low ash and sulphur content; characteristics such as high swelling, fluidity and reactivity, which allow blending with other coals for use in the steel industry.
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Perry wrote:
Perry wrote:Any special reason you skipped any reference to NZ importing 'dirty' coal?

nope
apart from not knowing the specifics of what why where when

logically we are going to have shortfalls at times during the transition to renewable's and those shortfalls will be filled by non renewables .. why they chose coal over oil at that point i dont know .. maybe marsden point wasnt ready for the demand .. pretty irrelevant though .. the march is towards the future .. some back steps should be expected
of course as is usual in almost all these situations .. had we moved when we first knew of the problem we would have been a lot further down the road with a lot less damage left behind
i had environmental beliefs even before i went to mururoa .. i have no excuses for that .. maybe i just dont hate my grandchildren's grandchildren enough yet
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 pm

WTF????

From this story: https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12577216 ... -potential
“New Zealand has an abundance of renewable energy that could be used to produce hydrogen, potentially for export

Excuse me, didn't we just get finished importing over a million tonnes of dirty coal to fire our electricity industry?

All lies and spin!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column