Bribing the media? (28 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Bribing the media? (28 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0728.shtml

Is the government simply trying to bribe the media at a time when that industry is suffering huge difficulties in adapting its business model to the age of the internet?

And seriously -- race-based?

However, is this Labour government really any different to those that have gone before, regardless of their political leanings?

Is it right that taxpayers' money is used to fund what almost qualifies as government propaganda through the careful shaping of qualification critera for laying claim to this contestable "public interest" funding?

Should it be renamed "Government Interest" funding?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Bribing the media? (28 Jul, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am

I expect there will be a thumb on the scales for the foreseeable future (ie 'at least the next 90 days'), so you might as well get used to it. If it means there's something else on the telly besides 7 Sharp, the Chase, and ancient Top Gear re-runs, maybe that's a good thing.

I leaf through the Dompost most days, and I can't exactly see where the $55m is going - maybe towards those double-page investigative stories that everyone totally reads. I suppose it's helping keep the paper afloat, and I would miss the crossword.
hagfish

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am

Ahhhh what's Sinead Boucher up to this morning?

She's probably thinking about calling Marc Daadler tight about ... now.

When you see how corrupt NZ, and how the sheep don't see it, well.

Sit back and enjoy the propaganda. After all, you are paying for it again and again.

And don't forget to 'donate'!
GCSBIntercepts

Postby shadesnz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 am

High quality journalism is rare. Of the few articles I have seen, they are criticisms of authority.
From what I can see, what makes the news these days is either a tragedy (ChCh) or celebration of something from a sporting event.
I had a friend from the UK for a day and she said NZ TV has become childish. News reports lack educative efforts and opinions from both sides of the fence.
shadesnz

Postby Geoffm » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 pm

We already have a stated controlled media. He who pays the piper and all that, and it is very very clear in erecent years.
If it wasn't for taxpayer funding, they would be gone or at least trading while insolvent.

The circulation figures have been falling for media for years, usually by 10% or more. The Dom Post fell 16% last year. You can see the long term trends looking through the audit figures.
http://newspaper.abc.org.nz/audit.html? ... 5&type=%25

They are only going one way and it is because they are not producing what people will pay their own money for. They are producing what their paymasters want.

Don't forget the advertising, also paid by the taxpayer for political purposes - Look at the 3 waters propaganda ads on TV, whcih are complete lies. Government advertising is a huge part of the revenue stream and it must be close to the majority of income in some cases. This would be a significant amount of revenue in addition to the $55m bribe. There is also NZ on Air which funds a lot of (usually rubbish) NZ TV and other media and helps again fill in programs and fund media producers and outlets.
Geoffm

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Bruce wrote:I think it is pretty safe to say that we have seen a rather sad deterioration in the mainstream news media over the years.

An unusually conservative perspective from you, Bruce.

Bruce wrote:It is very clear that this isn't a fund designed to boost mainstream journalism, it's a carefully "shaped" inducement for media to create pieces that are aligned with the government's own agendas and ideologies. Some might go so far as to call it an act of bribery against an industry that is financially stressed right now and therefore little able to say "no".

"Some might say?" All with a small amount of grey matter left would say. If they knew the reality of what's going on, of course.

The Big Lie
Perry

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm

These are the people that sold their Souls for Bucked Toothed Pu$$y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrM56dnWwxk
GCSBIntercepts

Postby phill » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 pm

editor sounded fine to me .. aligns almost exactly with my own thoughts ( anti vaxers are in general a bunch of wackjobs )

making up " facts " about it claiming he wanted to hide the truth is nothing more or less than lies

and im not sure what aussie media or aussies in general have to do with silly sindy .. most of them wouldn't even know who she was
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:38 am

phill wrote:editor sounded fine to me.

So that one particular item seemed true - so all else the editor says must be, too? :lol:

Yeah, right.
Perry

Postby phill » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:41 am

Perry wrote: so all else the editor says must be, too? :lol:

ummm ... nope

and it's a bit of a stretch to get to that from what i said
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column