The ultimate war strategy (29 Jul, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The ultimate war strategy (29 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0729.shtml

The same technology that gives us an advantage in times of military conflict can become our Archile's heel.

It seems that reliance on GPS has become almost total, both in the military and civilian worlds.

Exactly what effect would the loss of GPS have on the world?

Will an enemy nation's navigation satellites be the very first target if a major conflict breaks out between major powers?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The ultimate war strategy (29 Jul, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:52 am

Since writing today's column I came across this... a further indication that when it comes to looming military conflict it's more about "when" rather than "if".

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... oting-war/
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 am

It's the idea of another Carrington Event-level solar flare that worries me: not only taking out a large swathe of [Navstar/Glonass/BeiDou/Galileo] GPS functionality* but overloading the electrical infrastructure as well. Blow enough transformers and replacements could be hard to come by in the short term.

*OMG, how will I geocache?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby shadesnz » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:38 am

Bruce, I thought you would stay away from this topic. The kind of war that might happen is one that nobody actually wants.
But here's a few facts that have shown up in Gab chats:
1) Over population: we are nearing 8 billion people.
2) Massive public and private debt, most of it not repayable.
3) Corporate greed over resources around the world (oil, gas, fibre pipes, etc).
4) High pension expectations. No one wants to work past 65.
Enough from me...I'm off to the beach.
shadesnz

Postby phill » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 am

as far as maritime navigation goes
the loss of gps systems is just inconvenient
off shore it will be done by dead reckoning and updated with star and sun sights ( celestial is still taught but downgraded for importance )
in shore during the day will be done with radar using coastline profiles and ranges with sight bearing fixes on prominent features
at night the same with bearing fixing done on light houses

on land expect a huge run on road maps .. and printing of google maps for local areas
the adventurous will have to relearn compass bearing skills using a topo map when out in the boonies

for the defence ( sic ) use of missiles inertial as you say and final targeting on most is done with visual feature recognition

disaster .. no .. pita .. yes
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am

Bruce wrote:I wonder if I should invest in sextant and compass futures?

Where were you thinking of going? :twisted:
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Taking out the opposition’s satellites as a pre-emotive strike sounds glib but it begs the question of “How?” Blowing them up would cause a Kessler Event with EVERY satellite disabled or destroyed with no option of repair or replacement in the foreseeable future until the cloud of ultrasonic shrapnel dissipates. Would be good for a few late night fireworks displays.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 pm

That's why directed energy is probably the way to go. Powerful lasers/masers could target individual satellites -- either from the ground or from "killer satellites" already in orbit.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:14 pm

phill wrote:as far as maritime navigation goes
the loss of gps systems is just inconvenient
off shore it will be done by dead reckoning and updated with star and sun sights ( celestial is still taught but downgraded for importance )
in shore during the day will be done with radar using coastline profiles and ranges with sight bearing fixes on prominent features
at night the same with bearing fixing done on light houses

on land expect a huge run on road maps .. and printing of google maps for local areas
the adventurous will have to relearn compass bearing skills using a topo map when out in the boonies

for the defence ( sic ) use of missiles inertial as you say and final targeting on most is done with visual feature recognition

disaster .. no .. pita .. yes

and for Aircraft?
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Aircraft have redundancy in the form of navigational beacons, RDF and similar stuff. As usual in the aviation industry, it's strictly belt AND braces :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column