Don't worry, she'll be right (18 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Don't worry, she'll be right (18 Aug, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:17 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0818.shtml

We were doing so well... until we dropped the ball and started believing "she'll be right".

Now, huge swathes of NZ's population are potentially at risk from what will almost certainly be the delta variant of CV19.

Unless our luck holds and we eradicate the possibility of further community transmission by way of the present lockdown.

But what then?

With so few of our population being fully immunised will we have to extend the lockdown until we reach a level were possible community transmission becomes more manageable? How long will that take, given that even if someone gets the first shot tomorrow, it'll be six weeks to two months before they've gained an effective antibody load?

Have we fumbled the ball and wasted our year or so of virtual freedom from CV19 by not aggressively pursuing the vaccination campaign that would have now seen us far more ready and able to take on the virus as a population?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't worry, she'll be right (18 Aug, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:05 am

5 cases (as of 9am) with probably more to come, and it's Delta. This could get ... interesting
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby paulw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:07 am

Gonna be a lot longer than 3 to 7 days with these extra cases. Pity that the government took the attitude when we ordered the vax that as we don't have any Covid we don't need to ramp up the vax program and instead give it away. Now watch the fear factor get ramped up with Covid radio and TV ads in the next few days.
paulw

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am

Vaccines are a bit like EVs or recycling - certainly worthwhile - but not the whole story. There's a lot of business-as-usual hopium mixed in, and they're often over-sold. We get lots of 'yay, we solved it! Back to work, peons, and carry on consuming'. The Pfizer vaccine provided good protection against O.G. Covid, less protection against Delta, and Lambda (the next cab off the rank) all-but ignores it. If World et al. had gotten ahead of Covid last year, we'd be all-but done with it by now. Nothing stops spread like ... stopping the spread.

We (and maybe humans in general) can put in a big, brief collective effort, but when it's an on-going, chronic problem, the fatigue sets in. I don't think we need to beat ourselves up about this, but - as we've seen overseas - the 'living with Covid' approach seems much more taxing than brief, severe lock-downs, followed by back-to-normal.

And the same people decrying the current pace of the vaccine roll-out would have been equally shrill if the roll-out had been rushed, and we'd all got the two-week wait for the second jab before learning that six weeks affords better protection. Some people just wanna be mad. Meanwhile, the best we can hope for is that it's 'not this time'.
hagfish

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:16 am

The vaccine doesn't work. Deal with it.

Helen Clark interfered and imported people from Fiji.

Now you are reaping what corruption brings.

Watch it rip through NZ hospitals like the Pox.
GCSBIntercepts

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 am

hagfish wrote:And the same people decrying the current pace of the vaccine roll-out would have been equally shrill if the roll-out had been rushed, and we'd all got the two-week wait for the second jab before learning that six weeks affords better protection.

As I wrote previously... I did query the short gap but was (eventually) told that NZ's experts had determined there was no value to a longer interval, despite the fact that the UK had gone at least 8 weeks.

I feel so confident in our "experts".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:38 am

aardvark_admin wrote:I feel so confident in our "experts".

Me too.
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:28 pm

damm
i must be one of the few dissenters then
i have seen nothing from silly sindy and bloomfield other than f up after f up after f up
most of which could have been avoided with the most basic use of foresight and planning
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:32 pm

GCSBIntercepts wrote:
Helen Clark interfered and imported people from Fiji.

Now you are reaping what corruption brings.

even if the case is linked to this person .. and it very well may be
we should still have been safe
its the procedures and personnel that need to be blamed

maybe nurses are not as qualified or attentive as they like to think
perhaps a pay cut might sort that out
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm

phill wrote:maybe nurses are not as qualified or attentive as they like to think
perhaps a pay cut might sort that out

Or maybe it's because they're operating under a system designed and run by clueless bureaucrats?

I guess it's taken the sting out of the strike action that was scheduled for tomorrow though eh? ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column