No speak the England? (20 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

No speak the England? (20 Aug, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:58 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0820.shtml

Are things really as bad as they seem?

Will our inability to write good English prose damage our ability to communicate effectively?

What will become of the written word as a way of expressing ourselves or documenting our history -- if this trend towards written illiteracy continues?

Is there a cure?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: No speak the England? (20 Aug, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 am

I think we are reading more than ever, these days, but the stuff we are reading is comments, posts, tweets - it's one another's drivel. If you dig into another subculture's silo, it can be almost impenetrable. I think it's by design - a way of excluding outsiders, and creating community. The difference is that these days, it's us with our deep understanding of the possessive gerund who feel excluded.

The fact that this 'democratisation' of published writing has crept into 'mainstream' commercial media is sad - especially since there are so many automated systems to take care of it. For me, typos and grammatical errors immediately affect the credibility of a piece of work. Perhaps for most people, the sloppiness just increases the likelihood of their clicking the ads. Future bad waah!
hagfish

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:42 am

Bruce wrote:I can see that this could well be the case, however it does not excuse a lack of proof-reading and the elimination of editors and sub-editors who used to be ultimately responsible for whatever prose hit the pages.

Newspaper proof readers went the way of the dinosaurs, a few decades back.

Here's part of your answer . . .

It’s elitist to mark down bad spelling, universities insist
University tutors are being told not to dock marks for spelling mistakes because requiring good English could be seen as, “homogenous north European, white, male, elite.”
Perry

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:13 am

Even Phil, with AEnglish as a second language, can manage to cobble a few words together into a sentence.
GCSBIntercepts

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:06 am

Perry wrote:Newspaper proof readers went the way of the dinosaurs, a few decades back.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the land, there were multiple eyes reading a piece before ink hit paper. Even the typesetters were expected to correct typos if they spotted them before the molten metal was poured. They had journalistic standards back then.

Nowadays there are no tertiary journalism courses available anywhere in NZ and newspaper offices are mostly populated by what was known as ‘cub reporters’ who may even have to shoot video of an interview or event on their cell phones for the on-line edition. At least they (usually) don’t have to be reminded to shoot in landscape instead of portrait.

University tutors are being told not to dock marks for spelling mistakes because requiring good English could be seen as, “homogenous north European, white, male, elite.”

Does that imply it’s OK for female/Maori/etc lecturers to dock marks for crap spelling/grammar etc? I have noticed negativity from the same establishments over mis-pronounced Maori words…. It’s a complicated world we live in.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby greven » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:36 pm

The biggest problem is the speed of news. If you wait for a piece to pass editorial review, you have lost the most valuable (according to advertisers) segment of your audience to a quick & dirty, portrait livestreaming facebook page such as What's On Invers.
greven

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:35 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:Nowadays there are no tertiary journalism courses available anywhere in NZ and newspaper offices are mostly populated by what was known as ‘cub reporters’ who may even have to shoot video of an interview or event on their cell phones for the on-line edition. At least they (usually) don’t have to be reminded to shoot in landscape instead of portrait.

Is Canterbury outside of NZ now? I must have missed that, I guess the lack of reporting is really hitting home!
https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/study/subjects/journalism/
Malcolm

Postby phill » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:54 pm

thats been a debate for a lot longer than i have been alive
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:56 pm

That's funny because most of NZs media is run out of Marc Daalder's office.
It appears that all you need is Deep state Insider parents and you get to run little third world prime ministers from their office in the South Pacific.
Then you get a group of LGBTQIA+ transexual freaks to write pre-planned articles of Wokeness.

I'm more interested in whom the next Taliban Ambassador to NZ will be?

Just imagine the new Belt and Road through Afghanistan from China?

China will push for War crimes trials of the Aggressor nations. New Zealand will face war crimes trials also.
Just imagine senior ministers and NZDF personnel going on trial for war crimes? Nuremberg II.

Its either that - or China will stop buying NZ products.

Do the Crime - Do the Time!

This is what happens when you have a nation of people with shit for brains.
GCSBIntercepts

Postby phill » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:46 pm

GCSBIntercepts wrote:
This is what happens when you have a nation of people with shit for brains.

hmmm help me
for the life of me i cannot think of one nation where a core of sanity exists
where is this place to which i must go
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column