No speak the England? (20 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: No speak the England? (20 Aug, 2021)

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:15 pm

GCSBIntercepts

Postby phill » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:18 pm

cool .. im here already
so why am i still surrounded by as many f wits as i have been for the last 50+ years
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby roygbiv » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:09 am

The written word is one thing but the spoken word is quite another. My bugbear is the poor pronounciation of place names by news readers or weather men/women.
These people are supposedly at the top of their game as they are TV presenters but each one it seems pronounces a place name differently, and there have been some weird ones recently.

There is no consistency, the obvious solution is to have somebody ring up a local and ask them how they pronounce their home town.
roygbiv

Postby phill » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:31 am

if you are talking about 3's new daytime news reader that makes a mistake about every 12th word .. then yes definitely
im guessing making a complaint about 3's falling standard isnt going to work
as she seems to be a race card desperate to be played
if that fails ... and its been used a couple of times already ... then the sex card will be drawn as a backup

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby greven » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:47 pm

roygbiv wrote:The written word is one thing but the spoken word is quite another. My bugbear is the poor pronounciation of place names by news readers or weather men/women.
These people are supposedly at the top of their game as they are TV presenters but each one it seems pronounces a place name differently, and there have been some weird ones recently.

There is no consistency, the obvious solution is to have somebody ring up a local and ask them how they pronounce their home town.

Even that can be fraught with danger... ask any Southlander how to pronounce Mataura & 80% will get it wrong
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:52 pm

The interesting thing with Maori place names is that modern-day pronounciation is likely quite a bit different to that used when colonists first arrived.

Language is an evolving thing and one only needs to look at how Kiwi English has changed since those movie-reels and early TV broadcasts of the 1960s through to today in order to realise that pronounciation can undergo massive shifts in just a generation or two.

So, with that in mind, is there really a "correct" way to pronounce these things?

If the white middle-class Kiwi says "Tau po" but some versed in te reo says "toe paw", who's to say who is actually right because odds are that *neither* would be considered the same pronounciation it originally was?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:53 pm

there can be quite a difference regionally in the pronunciation of te reo .. and even different words
but
that's acceptable
saying it may have changed is sacrilege and the colonial card will be played immediately

phill

Postby roygbiv » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:04 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:So, with that in mind, is there really a "correct" way to pronounce these things?

If the white middle-class Kiwi says "Tau po" but some versed in te reo says "toe paw", who's to say who is actually right because odds are that *neither* would be considered the same pronounciation it originally was?

I fully understand that some things may have been pronounced differently, and use of localised expressions, but come off it - place names - today. Surely, the mainstream media can get together, or even the govt owned TVNZ can be consistent in their pronunciation, I am not proud enough to argue if it is not the same as I (or even my Google satnav) say a place name. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but as long as I hear the different pronunciations then I am as correct as the rest.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:52 pm

The truth decay emaciated NZ mudstream media is a total mess.

No proper name capitalisation; capital letter after a colon. It doesn't get any better, the more you read.
Perry

Previous

Return to Today's column