There are always some (25 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

There are always some (25 Aug, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:54 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0825.shtml

Sadly, Dawinism is unlikiely to prevail as a result of some folks behaviour during the latest lockdown.

It seems that those ignoring the restrictions associated with lockdown tend to be in the lower-risk group (young) but the fallout from their mingling and unrestricted movement will ultimately endanger the higher risk groups.

How is lockdown going in your part of the country? Are you also hearing the dulcet tones of highly tuned rice-racers in the later hours of the evening as their young drivers obviously race to work at an "essential service" or seek urgent medical treatment?

What do you do when you witness such things... do you narc on these offenders and call the cops? Would the cops even be interested -- they didn't seem to be during the last protracted L4 lockdown. At that time our neighbours had regular lockdown-parties where friends and their kids would roll up during the day and drink/party until the small hours of the morning before driving away again. I didn't narc on them but I'm pretty sure others would have.

I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy but is that the wrong mindset right now? Could "live and let live" actually be more like "live and allow the vulnerable to die"?

Your thoughts...
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: There are always some (25 Aug, 2021)

Postby shadesnz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:28 am

My area, near Mission Bay in Auckland, is like a ghost town. Majority of the residents are elderly.
Talk in the local supermarket suggests that some of the local cafes are unlikely to re-open.
Is it the case that the government only pays wage subsidy and not rent or utilty bills?
shadesnz

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 am

The "government" pays for NOTHING... the *TAXPAYER* (that's you and I) pays.

Also, since electricity charges constitute a healthy income for government (as 51% owner of many of our power generators), they're probably going to be unwilling to pay for that because they'd be taking money out of their own pockets to pay their own dividends. Nah.. far better that the citizens keep filling the trough via that stream themselves! :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:50 am

I think we are taking it as seriously as we can take anything that we can't see, smell, taste, touch; and that doesn't affect anyone we know; and whose effects can only be 'modelled'. Even people in overseas cities where it's rife are 'over it'. It must be extra difficult to maintain the expected discipline if you're locked down in Dustball, Clutha - with the nearest Covid a week away via stagecoach, followed by a voyage by sea.

Oddly, many people having trouble accepting it are the same ones who ARE prone to believing in ghosties and ghoulies and crystals and ley lines and beardie dudes who live in the sky. They'll happily accept that their finances are in turmoil because "Mercury's in retrograde", but when it comes to getting a vaccine, they suddenly find their critical faculties, and need more convincing. Indeed, there's nowt as queer as folk.

EDIT: and tax-payers don't fund government spending - that's not how it works at all!
hagfish

Postby GCSBIntercepts » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 am

Darwinism is letting border security and quarantine be interfered with by public servants and retired politicians who bend the rules for their own selfish interests.

Imagine you are brewing methamphetamine in Auckland. You are the production chemist in charge of say 10 kg of product a week?

What happens when your manager doesn't understand science? Doesn't even have a high school science qualification?
Starts interfering in lab operations? Upsetting the supply of precursor agents? Then starts taking essential chemical reagents for your run - which you only find out half way through?

At what point do your managers- become the problem?

Our managers - ARE the problem.
GCSBIntercepts

Postby namartinnz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:42 am

Lockdown pretty good in my street in Whangarei, no work for me, even though I work from home, but giving me a chance to get rid of yuccas in the garden. People have been pretty good, barring a bloke in a Beamer V8 flogging it as he leaves the street at regular intervals virtually every day of the week. My suspicious side says he's doing drug runs, my mate whom has motor neurons see's the better side and says he could be a care giver helping someone...A bit like the argument with vaccines and what not...
namartinnz

Postby Malcolm » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:53 am

shadesnz wrote:
Is it the case that the government only pays wage subsidy and not rent or utilty bills?

The big help is the wage subsidy which is designed to help ordinary folk so they can still be paid during the lockdown. But there is also money available to help businesses cover rent ETC. Robertson was discussing it yesterday during the briefing. Detailing the financial support available was the main reason he took point for yesterday's briefing.
Malcolm

Postby paulw » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Here in Morrinsville there's more movement around than the last level 4 lockdown. I don't take this one as seriously as the last one because while this Indian strain is more contagious the effects aren't as bad as the first one. We will never eliminate it . ScoMo in Ozz is correct we will have to learn to live with it as we did with the Spanish flu.
paulw

Postby phill » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:43 pm

what he writes ...
paulw wrote:Here in Morrinsville there's more movement around than the last level 4 lockdown. I don't take this one as seriously as the last one because while this Indian strain is more contagious the effects aren't as bad as the first one. We will never eliminate it . ScoMo in Ozz is correct we will have to learn to live with it as we did with the Spanish flu.

what i read ...
im ok fuck you

as a side note
scomo is a complete fuckwit
believe him at your peril
if your that desperate to find someone with your viewpoint you have to quote scomo .. your in real strife
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:38 pm

hagfish wrote:EDIT: and tax-payers don't fund government spending -
Oh? Who does?

hagfish wrote: - that's not how it works at all!
And how does 'it' work?
Perry

Return to Today's column