Worst bragging video EVER (27 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Worst bragging video EVER (27 Aug, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:36 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0827.shtml

What a shocker!

How could a corporation like Google, with all its resources, might and power, possibly allow such a gaffe-laden video out the door?

And why is it that Google is even running a drone delivery service when this seems so non-aligned with its core business?

Was it just a glitch in the ether that thwarted my attempts to add a marker to Google Maps that would show the position of their previously secret operations base in the city of Logan?

I guess proof-readers are now so rare and hard to find that even Google couldn't afford one for this video, nor could they be bothered getting anyone who knows anything about drone safety to give it a quick "once over" before releasing it.

And would you pay $16 to have a $2 loaf of bread delivered to you by drone? How can Google ever hope to make a profit when the cost of delivery is so high and the value of the products (constrained by a max 1.2Kg weight and relatively small size) is going to be so low?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Worst bragging video EVER (27 Aug, 2021)

Postby roygbiv » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:25 am

I see the video for what it really is, it is just an advert, similar to a Coca-Cola advert - completely disconnected from reality. Images of beautiful things connected to make a simple story to advertise a product. Or, in this case a message. It may be technically possible, the facts given may (or may not) stand the scrutiny of any advertising standards authority, who knows - who cares.

Would I use such a service, certainly not, nothing wrong with walking down to the dairy if I desperately wanted some TimTams.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:39 am

Bruce wrote:And then there's my pet peeve... an abuse of the English language.

Puhleeze, Bruce, they speakada USAnglish - a pidgin language version of the real thing

Ever notice how some of them spell solder? (As in sodering iron?)

Although roygbiv is likely right in that it's advertising 'puffery,' I doubt such safety risks would be allowed in / on any NZ media.
Perry

Postby dingram17 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Perry wrote:
Bruce wrote:And then there's my pet peeve... an abuse of the English language.

I work with muricans and I've started referring to their version as "Simplified English" and the AU/NZ/UK version as "Traditional English". Taking inspiration from the Chinese ;)
dingram17

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm

What were the co-ordinates for the secret ops base, Bruce. Maybe Apple Maps can spot it?
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:What were the co-ordinates for the secret ops base, Bruce. Maybe Apple Maps can spot it?

On Google Earth it's at: 27°40'20.08" S 153°04'33.19" E

You have to ensure your using images from at least July 2020 to see the building, it's relatively new.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:51 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:
Kiwiiano wrote:What were the co-ordinates for the secret ops base, Bruce. Maybe Apple Maps can spot it?

On Google Earth it's at: 27°40'20.08" S 153°04'33.19" E

You have to ensure your using images from at least July 2020 to see the building, it's relatively new.

Nah, Apple Maps returns some place in Queensland apparently with nothing in common with the coords.

Google Maps on the iPad finds a roundabout in Logan c 2021 near the Logan Metro Sports & Events Centre
[img]/Users/ianorchard/Desktop/Logan.png[/img] ...rats, that doesn't copy. Any way if you find the same spot, the pointer landed on the vacant land immediately east of the roundabout

Google Earth on iPad delivers me to the same roundabout but this is in Queensland because an adjacent building is "Australia Wide First Aid". I thought that 27º S had to be in the Southern Hemisphere. Still puts the pointer on a vacant section, an undated image.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:19 am

For some reason the Google Maps imagery is woefully out of date. The warehouse facility they're using was only built in the last two years.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby 4765656B » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:10 pm

4765656B

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 am

What was I saying about the media simply surviving by tacking by-lines onto press releases and calling them "journalism"?

I see that the NZH has swallowed Google's latest press release about the drone delivery service hook, line and sinker:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/drone ... ZWHA6W6DQ/

This line says it all about Google's investigative journalism:
Despite the noise, the novelty of having a delivery by drone is clearly something people are willing to pay for

A little digging would have uncovered the fact that these drone deliveries are being done FOR FREE! Google is charging NOBODY for them, yet still claims it is a commercial drone delivery service.

I fear that with Facebook on one side and the mainstream media on the other, the truth is just a memory these days and it's no wonder we have so many people with an incredibly warped perspective of the world :-(
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column