Is this good or bad? (30 Aug, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Is this good or bad? (30 Aug, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:16 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0830.shtml

So the EU and UK are introducing laws that will require you to have a silent policeman installed in every new model of car.

Whereas one would think that the most logical way to address the issue of people speeding on the roads would be simply to fit a governor (as is already the case with some heavy goods vehicles), the EU/UK have chosen instead *not* to restrict the speed of vehicles to the posted limit on the road they are travelling, but instead to simply "advise" the driver of their transgression and to log the data for later retreival.

This speaks to me that the desire to generate infringement revenues exceeds the desire to save lives.

It also provides justification for logging all that data which could also be used for far more nefarious purposes, enabling governments to track your every move.

Are you concerned that such tech will inevitably find its way to our shores and be adopted by our government as well.

Of course the data will *only* ever be used for the right purposes -- such as solving crimes, thwarting terror attacks before they happen and keeping us all safe from the boogey man -- but what price this safety?

How much of your right to privacy and to be presumed innocent are you prepared to hand over on the promise of "safety" and "security"?

When is enough really enough?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this good or bad? (30 Aug, 2021)

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:59 am

How's that favoured line of yours go . . .

Only those with something to hide have anything to fear. :roll:
Perry

Postby Wetherman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:58 am

Edward Snowden remarked "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say."

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument
Wetherman

Postby hagfish » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:43 am

My Mum's car (a nothing-fancy Toyota something-or-other) says, 'Ploys obey all treffeek regulations' in a twangy Aussie accent, if you happen to miss-judge your approach of an 80Km/hr sign. It's intrusive and annoying, but not as annoying as speeding fines must be. Maybe it makes me - and those around me - a little bit safer. That system knows where we are to within a handful of metres. I don't know if this is logged anywhere, but if not, there are at least two other tracking devices in the car (our phones) to keep close tabs on us. And don't even get started on the 5G receivers we got with our vaccines.

There are times when it's necessary to break the speed limit. I always put my foot down whenever I need to outrun an on-rushing tsunami or a herd of stampeding wildebeest. Certainly, passing slow-moving vehicles is not a good enough reason to break the speed limit. If you have to boot it to 120, you've already screwed up.

If vehicles were governed to the local speed limit, I suppose people would just mash the accelerator and leave it there. Maybe we'd pay less attention? That said, Mum's car also has adaptive cruise control and lane-assist, and doesn't really leave the driver with much of anything to do. It's going to be even worse when we are all crawling along at 80Km/hr, trying to stay nominally alert. At least they will know exactly where to find us, and our final utterances will be preserved forever in the cloud.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:50 am

hagfish wrote: there are at least two other tracking devices in the car (our phones) to keep close tabs on us.

"The powers that be" must hate me... for carrying a "dumb phone" that only allows my movements to be resolved to the active mobile cell in which I'm operating. Yeah, I guess they could triangulate to a higher precision but I don't think I'm worth that amount of attention -- although opinions within higher circles may differ :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:52 am

Ah well, at least we can rely on the "run your car on H2 via electrolysis from your alternator" people to hawk defeating GPS tracking software and save us all...
namartinnz

Postby phill » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am

i replaced my old cassette tape stereo with a large screen video player with gps and sat nav
that came with the same options as most others of the same ilk
ie .. speed reminders
i like it .. it does remind me when i have missed any of the strangely placed speed reduction signs on hw 10
and when the speed has crept over the limit
it has wifi and bluetooth but no memory ...
as far as i know .....
i still control those
it doesn't phone home

a decade later and i have i also installed 70 mai front and rear cams
it has ... lane , follow to close , movement of vehicle ahead ( when stopped at lights ) warnings
all very useful for a driver whose thoughts tend to wonder on long drives
it also has gps, wifi and bluetooth and does record everything on a 32gig flash drive
as far as i know i control these and can format the disk at will

would i put them in a new car ... yes
do they help my driving ... yes
do i want others to be able to access them without my permission .. hell no

my local area has also paid for and setup video cams all over the village
centrally linked to the local hall with the police having anytime access
on going costs paid for by local donations .. electricity for the installation paid for by the hall
did i pay for any of this ... no
was my opinion on whether it should be setup or not polled .. no
obviously it has advantages but imo the disadvantages and loses outweigh these ... but enough of the locals have donated enough to pay for the many thousands required for its installation and there it is ..
Last edited by phill on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby GOM-RH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm

Certainly, passing slow-moving vehicles is not a good enough reason to break the speed limit.

Perhaps the improbability of passing a heavy vehicle traveling at 90 kph in the time/space of a passing lane will result in lower overall speeds and calmer drivers.
GOM-RH

Return to Today's column