Are we being gouged? (2 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Are we being gouged? (2 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0902.shtml

You could be sitting on a gold mine, if you have a bunch of old electronics laying around containing the now *very* valuable STM32 microcontrollers.

Tear them down and throw those chips on eBay, at least you'll have enough money to pay your inflated grocery bill at the checkout!

But seriously, e-waste centres could be sitting on a veritable gold-mine if they start focusing on those microcontrollers -- knowing that there is a *huge* demand and almost zero supply right now.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Are we being gouged? (2 Sep, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:43 am

Yep - $200 for a couple of very light-weight bags of groceries. And that'd didn't even include alcohol (home-brewed), coffee (home-roasted), or meat (line-caught and wild-shot). The supermarket has been very convenient, but maybe it's time to go back to shopping around, and hitting up the Saturday morning markets. On one hand, meat/fish/dairy should be expensive. The price should reflect the total cost of high animal welfare and regenerative farming practices and living wages. When the premium is getting leeched out of the system by shareholders, it's a little harder to stomach.

Bucking the trend of 'less-for-more', we have Chorus promising us 'more-for-less' - they're planning to boost basic 100/20 fibre connections to 300/100 later this year, with no wholesale price increase. Maybe the ISPs will try to clip the ticket and maybe they won't, but the premium lots of people pay for higher speeds might come in for some extra scrutiny. Why pay an extra $20-25/month to go from 300Mb/s to maybe 500Mb/s?
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:55 am

Skinny (aka Spark) have been pretty good also... they threw an extra 60GB of free data at the wireless connection I use at the workshop... albeit my monthly useage is only a single GB at best during winter. Still, it's a good move PR-wise I think.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 am

Can't say I've noticed too much of a difference, but then again I was only needing the basics over lock down. Saying that, my local New World had mince and rump steak on special - down to their usual low prices (relatively speaking)

Like hagfish, I roast my own coffee, so cafe quality every day really cheap, bake my own bread, and even now using powdered milk (in a glass bottle!) apart from bluetop for my flat whites..

Nice to see some tech services getting more for less!
namartinnz

Postby greven » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:35 pm

Unsweetened yoghurt has been more expensive than sweetened yoghurt for as long as I can remember. It makes no sense.
I have also noticed the quality of mince going down while the price goes up. It is a real pity since minced beef is a very versatile food.
greven

Postby greven » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:44 pm

hagfish wrote:Bucking the trend of 'less-for-more', we have Chorus promising us 'more-for-less' - they're planning to boost basic 100/20 fibre connections to 300/100 later this year, with no wholesale price increase. Maybe the ISPs will try to clip the ticket and maybe they won't, but the premium lots of people pay for higher speeds might come in for some extra scrutiny. Why pay an extra $20-25/month to go from 300Mb/s to maybe 500Mb/s?

Will this automatically apply to all connections? When Chorus boosted 30mb/s to 50 mb/s (shortly before retiring the entry level plan) Spark & Vodafone connections remained at the lower speed, but 2Degrees connections received the free speed boost.
I wonder if history will repeat & Chorus will eliminate the 100mb/s base tier next year, making 900mb/s the new entry level?
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:36 am

Wow, I thought the supermarkets were gouging us but they have nothing on SuperLiquor!

I occasionally enjoy a bourbon and coke of an evening. It's actually quite a nice way to help get off to the land of nod if I know I'm going to have trouble in that department. It's not a routine, rather it's the exception so I probably buy no more than one or two bottles of the stuff a year. In fact I am such a crappy drinker that I found an old bottle of Jim Beam in the back of the liquor cabinet and it was so old that it had gone pale and had sediment in it.

Anyway, I squeezed the last drop out of my bottle last week and figured that if I was going to take my daily walk, I might as well grab another bottle in case I felt like a tipple sometime soon.

OMG!

Now I had been in the booze-shop a few weeks ago just "browsing" and I noticed that a quart bottle of JB was selling for $40 or so. Well guess how much I had to pay yesterday?

Fifty one bucks!

Holy crap! A 25% hike in just a few short weeks?

Fortunately this bottle will probably last me until next winter and beyond.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column