You are all going to die (6 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

You are all going to die (6 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:34 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0906.shtml

Two things are certain:

1. You are going to catch Covid 19
2. You are going to die.

Fortunately it is very unlikely that these two events will happen concurrently.

CV19 is already shifting from being a pandemic to becoming endemic and nothing is going to stop it.

NZ's strategy of vaxing up before allowing community transmission is a good one -- in fact it's the only sane option.

However, once we're vaxed up, would you consider attending a "Covid party" so as to get your "super-immunity" out of the way at a time/place that was of your choosing? Or would you just wait until chance and fate saw you catch a dose naturally?

What do you think of the suggestion that those who choose not to be vaccinated should be given "second tier" access to the health system for treatment when they catch CV19, given that they have the option to reduce that burden by getting the jabs?

Too "unkind"? :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: You are all going to die (6 Sep, 2021)

Postby granada29 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:50 am

My hope is that an annual booster shot for covid will be offered at the same time as the seasonal 'flu' shots - hopefully just a single injection containing both. Those who choose to remain unvaccinated can take their chances. Meanwhile, the rest of us can enjoy the benefit of free 5G and personal magnetism.
granada29

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:59 am

granada29 wrote:Meanwhile, the rest of us can enjoy the benefit of free 5G and personal magnetism.

Yes, thank goodness for the lockdown, I was getting tired of fending off the attentions of members of the female gender after my jabs! :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am

Personally, I hope the government continues to seek advice from epidemiologists. But weighed against that, some guy's brother-in-law on FB also makes a compelling case. Do we heed those who've dedicated their lives to careful study, or some guy who spent an evening deep-diving zerohedge?

We're at the point in the zombie movie where the heroes are barricaded in a house, eating beans they've heated over a candle, and talking about their next move. Alas, it's right before Act II, where some girl is hiding a bite, and some guy inevitably lets the zombies in.

Possibly the best thing to do during this breathing space is provide a quick, clear path to residency for those health-care workers who haven't scarpered for home yet. At least provide them with a reliable way of getting back to see family, and then return to NZ without too much rigmarole.
hagfish

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 am

Bruce wrote: This can be best illustrated by the situation in Israel where infection rates are going through the roof, despite very high levels of vaccination in the general population. At first it might be tempting to think that this is a failure of the vaccination program but it's not. Infection rates do not tell the whole story.

If you look at the death rates in Israel you'll see that these numbers are not following the huge upswing in infections. Most of those becoming infected in Israel have the protection of the vaccine and are either asymptomatic or suffer little more than cold-like symptoms.

What you detail there seems lost on the woodenheads, here. If there are any 'official' figures from gummint sources about the ratio of infection rates to deaths, they don't seem to be very prominently available.

I suspect that the 'infection rate' (statistic alone) is being used as a scare tactic, here in NZ.
Perry

Postby phill » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Israel total cases 1,117,596 daily new cases +3,962 total deaths 7,205 daily deaths +51 population 9,326,000

not totally rosy
that would equate to around 28 deaths a day here ... if we add a maori and pacifica weighting ... possibly 40-60 a day
Last edited by phill on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:13 pm

phill wrote:Israel total cases 1,117,596 daily new cases +3,962 total deaths 7,205 daily deaths +51 population 9,326,000

not totally rosy
that would equate to around 28 deaths a day here ... if we add a maori and pacifica weighting ... probably 40-60 a day

Odd.

And supposedly from the country with the highest population vaccination rate in the world.
Perry

Postby phill » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:23 pm

from .. https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... es/israel/

Vaccination

Israel has administered at least 14,101,310 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 77.9% of the country’s population.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... nd-access/

and ours
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dis ... ccine-data
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Perry wrote:And supposedly from the country with the highest population vaccination rate in the world.

Yes, but so long as the vaccine is still doing a reasonable job of reducing morbidity and mortality then it's still an effective tool.

As I said... it's not infection numbers that matter... it's the number who die or a so badly affected that they need hospitalisation.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:01 pm

Part of the problem with such statistics is there can be no 'control' groups, within the same country / ethnic grouping.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column