EV charging in the UK gets harder (13 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

EV charging in the UK gets harder (13 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0913.shtml

In the 1970s we had petrol rationing.

In the 2020s it's starting to look as if we'll have electricity rationing.

The UK appears to be leading the way by implementing a form of electricity rationing to dampen demand from domestic EV chargers at times of peak load. Will New Zealand resort to similar strategies to cope with inadequate generation capacity?

Why is nobody within government or the electricity sector able to predict that electricity demand will increase massively as we convert our personal transport fleet from dino-juice to the mightly electron?

Will you be hanging on to an ICE vehicle when you buy an EV... just in case?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: EV charging in the UK gets harder (13 Sep, 2021)

Postby namartinnz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am

Norway leads the way with EV uptake, how have they been handling the problem, having nearly 95% electricity through hydro generation? My ultimate plan is to go EV with solar generation. I'm not worried about economic payback, more so energy independency ( work from home so won't be looking at regular refilling for 1 hr commutes)

So far in 2 years my power bill has increased 30% (Kiwi electric) If we don't increase supply we'll have a double whammy of power restrictions and ever increasing power bills...
namartinnz

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 am

Bruce wrote:Recent forced blackouts in small parts of the country have proven that New Zealand does not always have a lot of generation capacity in reserve so the time to act is now, not in a few years' time when demand begins to completely outstrip capacity.

Are you sure about that?

Reading the lines and between them, it seemed that the capacity was there and some.

But there were stealth tax dividends and profits to consider.

Likely why there was a bit of sabre-rattling from the W'gton woodenheads, but then it all went quiet.
Perry

Postby phill » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am

i hate to say it .. but to me .. it makes sense to control the charging of ev times
sadly in this regimented life work day of 9am -5pm
most cooking is between 5pm and 7pm
most heating or cooling is between 4pm and 10pm
most family entertainment devices are used between 4pm and 10pm
adding in the ev to be charged when it reaches the garage at 5pm -6pm would be just to much to allow
not just for the generation capacity .. but for the capacity of the whole distribution infrastructure ( lines, transformers, sub stations )
we already have 3-4 times the needed infrastructure of the average load just to cover the peak demand period of <3 hours
with the progression to faster and faster charging ( i want it now ) the peak demand would go even higher

in the end its the consumer that gains by being controlled .. most parts of the infrastructure are paid for on every power bill as lines charges
more infrastructure = more charges

to me the decision to control ev charging times is the only sane one to make
there will always be cheats but most will see the bigger picture ... after it's explained to them in simple terms .. and the psycho conspiracy theorists have moved on to the next henny penny moment
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:27 am

Perry wrote:
Bruce wrote:Recent forced blackouts in small parts of the country have proven that New Zealand does not always have a lot of generation capacity in reserve so the time to act is now, not in a few years' time when demand begins to completely outstrip capacity.

Are you sure about that?

Don't forget to take the effects of climate change into the equation.

A couple of dry years and our hydro reserves can drop precipitously.

An extended period of calm (or very high) winds can adversely affect wind-generation

And prolonged periods of overcast weather can reduce PV output.

Tidal is just about the only renewable we can totally rely on.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 pm

Perhaps there could be some kind of surge pricing. Sure - you can charge at 50KW at a public super-charger at dinner time, but it'll cost you $140/hour. Or you could sneak out in the wee hours to top up for $5/hour.

Maybe if you have a 50A/10KW charger installed at home, you can charge at $30/hour at dinner time; or choose to feed power back into the grid for a $10/hour credit. When you charge back up at 3am, it's only $5/hour. Cha-CHING! Maybe.

Anyone plugging in via a 10A socket will have to leave their car charging all the time, so it won't make much difference to them.

Or you could get an ebike, charge it up at 2A for about 10 cents, and whistle to work.
hagfish

Postby phord » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:55 pm

For now, the coal generators are fired up to supplement the power supply.
When EVs become popular, more coal burning will needed as there will not be enough hydro for the job.

But is that such a bad thing?
ICE vehicles only use 25 % of the energy to move, 75% is wasted as heat
However, EVs will be using over 95% of that coal burnt energy to move.
Last edited by phord on Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
phord

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:04 pm

It is a bad thing if we could build renewable generation facilities to produce more energy.

Tidal produces zero emissions, as does more hydro or wind (although there are arguments to the contrary on hydro).

The reality is that so long as electricity generators can tack *massive* hikes onto what they charge during "peak" periods they have no incentive to create more generation capacity until it is too late.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 pm

hagfish wrote:Anyone plugging in via a 10A socket will have to leave their car charging all the time, so it won't make much difference to them.

Or you could get an ebike, charge it up at 2A for about 10 cents, and whistle to work.

A contact has a Mitsi PHEV Outlander and plugs in about bedtime. He commutes from Port Chalmers into Dunedin NE Valley daily via Mt Cargill but only tops up the petrol maybe fortnightly unless he's done other running about. This suggests that EVs don't need to be plugged in all the time, unless they are commuting huge distances or are large heavily-laden vehicles. My observation is that far too many are grossly oversized for the majority of journeys and that many trips are unnecessary. Both have obvious solutions.

Including the e-bike. I can dimly recall the days when roads in ChCh were crowded with cycles, outnumbering cars 10:1. If e-bikes had been available back then I suspect our car-count would have been a LOT lower nowadays.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column