Freedom for me but not for thee? (14 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Freedom for me but not for thee? (14 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0914.shtml

How strange is it that those who are most demanding "freedoms" are so opposed to someone like me having any freedom of choice when it comes to things such as vaccination or observing lockdown restrictions -- both of which I have *freely* chosen to do.

Why is their idea of freedom such a one-way-street?

A few of my YouTube subscribers have "unsubscribed" in protest that I have somehow offended them by exercising those freedoms -- without demanding they do the same.

Can these people not see the hypocrisy of what they're doing and saying?

Ah well, Darwinism will make the ultimate choices in this debate I guess :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Freedom for me but not for thee? (14 Sep, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:07 am

Biggest (online) battles I've had with the anti-lockdowners & anti-vaxxers have mostly been with Conservative/anti-Labour people, mostly the ones denegrating anything Jacinda Ardern says or does. I've tried pointing out that it's NOT a political issue but one of science, proven statistics, and very clear & simple facts. But as my dear old Mum used to say "Save your breath to cool your porridge".

To be honest one of the most damaging things the Trump administration did was to politicize their response to the pandemic and ignore the science. That has literally killed thousands as a result. That attitude has spilled over and is also evident in this country now sadly.

As for the #WanakaCouple - hang 'em high. Oops, we need be kind. Would someone kindly hang 'em high please? ;)
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:10 am

The world needs more angry people right now - we should all be furious. Broadening economic inequality, environmental vandalism, corporate brutality - there's a long list of things that we should be very upset about. Alas, it seems that many people's fear/anger has been subverted by some kind of error-collecting sub-routine, and sent off to /dev/null.

If they're marching in protest of [1080, 5G, vaccines, Agenda 30 globalresetilluminatilizardpeople], their rage and their efforts are doomed to flame-out in some internet backwater. None of that stuff is real - none of it matters. Perhaps there are those in power who prefer that these people harmlessly spin their wheels, while reality carries on unscrutinised.

There's no doubting the vehemence of those who attacked the Capitol Building in Washington DC in January, but did they bring an alternative form of government? Did they even bring sandwiches? Our recent 'farmers protest' was another inchoate cry of 'change is scary!' And then they drove their tractors home to deal with actual flooding, dead stock - real stuff. Can't blame the increasing use of Te Reo for that. Water and land management practices, tho... Methane and CO2 emissions... An extractive economic system that produces cheap food for 40m people (but not for 5 million). Relying on seasonal slaves and working 16 hours a day to feed an insatiable Aussie bank. No, no - nothing to do with that. They wanna tax our utes!

I think the most worrying trend is the polarisation of the discourse. There's no middle ground; no scope for an exchange of ideas. How can there be? One 'side' is working with measurements and data and modelling, and the other is coming back with, "your entitled to you're facts, but..." There are a LOT of difficult conversations we have to have over the next few years, and - speaking for myself - I ain't giving an inch. It doesn't bode well.

It's tempting to blame subversive external forces like Russia or the PRC. It's tempting to blame anyone. Who wins when the whole show tips over? Meanwhile I'm half-vaxxed, and my WiFi is great!
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:53 am

Interesting that the offenders who absconded to Wanaka seem to have name suppression -- why?

Surely, given the paltry legal censures available under the current laws, social shaming would be an important part of the "justice" process.

Let's hope their names are released and the fact that they are related to an "official" doesn't give them greater privilege than you, I or any other "regular" NZer. However, as we're used to seeing, there *ARE* two sets of rules in this country, based on WHO you are and WHO you know rather than what you've done wrong.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:As for the #WanakaCouple - hang 'em high. Oops, we need be kind. Would someone kindly hang 'em high please? ;)

It is interesting to see the difference in the behaviour of the family of the Wanaka couple and the guy who took off from MIQ a week or two back. That guy
quickly had his ethnicity and other identifying details reported in the media. But his mother gave him a telling off and she called the police herself. She then publicly apologised for his actions.
This couple, no mention of their ethnicity, and word is his parents immediately hired a QC for him who filed for name suppression. Might be a bit late as the couple's names, parentage etc are already all over Reddit and Facebook so it isn't hard to see who they are.
It does show an interesting difference in the attitudes as the former (poorer, browner)family are more concerned about doing right by the community. Where as the rich people are just worried about themselves and their convenience.
You see similar with most working people are fine with the temporary lockdowns to stamp out the infections so we can move on with their lives. Where as there is an endless stream of business folk in the media wanting hand outs and lockdowns lifted so they can make the plebs get back to serving coffees.
Malcolm

Postby A Bradford » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 am

One of my few heroes is Canadian polymath Denis Rancourt. He is a Bruce-like character and he is deservedly near the top of my heroes list. A physics professor at age 29, he taught physics at postgraduate level in French and English and he is absolutely fearless. He has done a lot of work on Covid19. (Of course, critically assess his papers and make up your own mind). Note that English is his second language so occasionally a word might not be totally correct.

There is a lot of stuff to go through but here is a good sample.

https://denisrancourt.ca/categories.php?id=1&name=covid

https://denisrancourt.ca/uploads_entrie ... 202021.pdf

https://activistteacher.blogspot.com/20 ... s-and.html

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... dLkFZ-YZBw

This video is a terrific laugh. A Marxist professor tried to smear Rancourt in an article about masks and then they debated the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQyLFdoeUNk

And some physics on climate change if you’re interested in that stuff…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-uY3tuV3yw

https://ia800503.us.archive.org/21/item ... plus-9.pdf
A Bradford

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:08 pm

A Bradford wrote:Denis Rancourt

Wow, what a nutter.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby paulw » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:03 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Interesting that the offenders who absconded to Wanaka seem to have name suppression -- why?

Surely, given the paltry legal censures available under the current laws, social shaming would be an important part of the "justice" process.

Let's hope their names are released and the fact that they are related to an "official" doesn't give them greater privilege than you, I or any other "regular" NZer. However, as we're used to seeing, there *ARE* two sets of rules in this country, based on WHO you are and WHO you know rather than what you've done wrong.

Daddy is a high up public servant I heard a judge so of cause they'll get name suppression.
paulw

Postby phill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Hiro Protagonist wrote:

Wow, what a nutter.

i lasted just over 15 mins
i picked up 2 glaring mistakes by then and lost complete interest in being bs'd anymore ( for some reason im short on patience for the nut job sect atm )
i did find it interesting that the first i picked up was because his body language gave away that even he didnt believe it
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby roygbiv » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:34 am

phill wrote:
Hiro Protagonist wrote:

Wow, what a nutter.

i lasted just over 15 mins
i picked up 2 glaring mistakes by then and lost complete interest in being bs'd anymore ( for some reason im short on patience for the nut job sect atm )
i did find it interesting that the first i picked up was because his body language gave away that even he didnt believe it

Yup, I agree, well articulated, authoritatively written, factually incorrect and quite misleading. He would make a brilliant spin doctor for a light-weight politician.
roygbiv

Next

Return to Today's column