Lockdown until Christmas? (20 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Lockdown until Christmas? (20 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0920.shtml

Has NZ's "elimination" strategy finally failed under the pressure of the delta variant of CV19?

With case numbers now rising on a daily basis, do we have to admit defeat and simply brace ourselves for impact?

Or can we keep Auckland locked down well into Christmas with the rest of the nation following as the "idiots" within our ranks blantantly flout lockdown restrictions, because they're "special" -- or at least think they are?

Paint us a picture of what YOU think NZ will look like this Christmas.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Lockdown until Christmas? (20 Sep, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:38 am

What's more, given the number of idiots who seem to think that lockdown rules are for thee and not for me, it's only a matter of time before we start seeing cases appearing outside of Auckland.

Sucks to be in Waikato right now!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:39 am

No elimination hasn't failed. We have a long tail because it is hitting large family units with multiple people and extended families inside each bubble. Look at the case numbers here compared to NSW. We are seeing 10-20 cases a day they are seeing 13-1400. The people breaching the lockdown are going to see us have to lockdown a wider area for a longer time. The simple fact is that decades of under-investment in our frontline health sector means we have no choice but to pursue an elimination strategy. We just don't have the ICU beds etc to deal with a wide spread outbreak.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am

Malcolm wrote:No elimination hasn't failed. We have a long tail because it is hitting large family units with multiple people and extended families inside each bubble

The problem is that so long as there is a *single* unexplained case of community transmission we have to maintain lockdown because ... where there's one, there's more.

As for that Waikato situation, the guy was released from Mt Eden prison (Auckland) on September 8 on bail to an address in Thames?????? Really? I thought the border out of AK was closed?

And nobody can say "we didn't know" because he was wearing an ankle-band with GPS for e-monitoring so authorities *must* have known.

This kind of craziness is why we're stuffed.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am

I do not see - can not see - how elimination can work in the real world.

If influenza mutates every year, why would SARS-COV-2 be any different?

Israel is getting a bit of attention because of their woes with delta and the ramifications . . .

Finally found it in English, instead of Hebrew. Too long to copy and post the text here, but here's the link.

Cindy cartoon being very apt.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 am

I think Cindy will have some explaining to do today...

She constantly talks about "our team of five million" but it seems that it's HER team from the Corrections Department who were responsible for bailing someone from Mt Eden (within the L4 lockdown ) to an address in Thames (outside the L4 lockdown).

Right now they're locking people up for transiting the border without the right permissions -- whilst at the same time they're moving live covid cases in the same direction under the direction of a government agency?

What a way to let the team down.!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:53 am

how to say money is the only thing that matters in more than a few hundred words
how apt

as far as the corrections team being as dumb as a box of rocks
[ surprised face ]
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:00 pm

I wonder when we'll see comrade commissar Cindy stealthily slither away from the 'elimination' pseudo-strategy?

And who she'll pass the blame to?
Perry

Return to Today's column