Global instability on the rise? (22 Sep, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Global instability on the rise? (22 Sep, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/0922.shtml

Will we always have to live with wars?

Is the concept of violence too deeply ingrained in our psyche to avoid?

Might huge financial pressures and what it perhaps sees as ideal timing, push China in the direction of reclaiming Taiwan by force in the near future?

Where do you think the doomsday clock is sitting right now?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Global instability on the rise? (22 Sep, 2021)

Postby Billybangleballs » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 am

I don't think China is in any hurry, and unless the Americans start digging up Taiwan and loading it onto barges, Taiwan isn't going anywhere in a hurry.
I do wish that folks could just get on with one another. Building a huge aircraft carrier for several squillion quid, and then sending it to the South China Sea in a brazen attempt to intimidate the Chinese is just stupidity, it's not going to prevent them doing anything, but when it just `accidentally' sinks it will cause all sorts of problems. I'm fairly sure the great unwashed that paid for it with their income tax, are not really impressed either. When the Belgian gunboats start blockading the Irish Sea because Boris has told the EU one too many lies, or gone back on yet another marvellous deal, a multi-squillion quid aircraftless carrier on the other side of the planet is going to be a great help.

Likewise, recruiting some of Australia's finest cannon fodder in exchange for a nuclear powered submarine or two is equally pointless, unless you are looking to go to war and just need the other side to shoot first for appearances sake.

I'm not so sure the Americans are licking their wounds, it seems more like they are licking their lips at the thought of being able to bully someone else for a change, using the Australians, supported by a British carrier group sounds a lot like the beginning of yet another proxy war.

But I do hope I'm wrong.
Billybangleballs

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21 am

It was back in the sixties that the [now deceased] OC of my unit emphatically said [several times] that China would be the catalyst for the next world war. (Rather than the Russians.) I hope Bob is wrong.
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:37 pm

I’m wondering if the Taiwanese had their backs to the wall with an invasion would a succession of controlled explosions demolish the converted prize, the Taiwanese technology? Capturing territory was ok in the Middle Ages but the 21st century is a completely different game of Calvinball….
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column