The alcohol puzzle (10 Nov, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The alcohol puzzle (10 Nov, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:49 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/1110.shtml

Ah.. the paradox that is alcohol. Any amount is toxic and harmful but moderate use may extend your lifespan.

How does that work?

The good thing is that whether you're tea-total or enjoy the occasional tipple, there are plenty of studies to support YOUR position on the matter.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The alcohol puzzle (10 Nov, 2021)

Postby hagfish » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 am

Caffeine, fatty foods, carbs, alcohol - if the latest wisdom on The Panel or in The Listener/FB is alarming, just wait 20 minutes for the next one. As with many things in life, the Devil is in the details. All that nuance, all those shades of grey.

One sin where the evidence is obdurately consistent is refined sugar. I'd rather take my chances with a bottle of stout, than a can of weapons-grade Coke. The advice about daily gentle/moderate exercise seems to be pretty consistent, too.

Sometimes there's competing advice, but the resulting decision is absolutely black-and-white; 'all or nothing'. You might be able to half-arse wearing a mask, but you have to whole-arse each vaccine shot, and then you can't 'un-have' it. Some people like their shades of grey.

Other countries are successfully taxing cannabis. The stuff you can buy from dispensaries in California costs a mint as a result. People pay it, tho - just as they pay for store-bought beer when home-brew is dead simple to make and costs about $1/litre. I think the only reason cannabis legalisation didn't get over the line here is racism.
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:49 am

hagfish wrote: I think the only reason cannabis legalisation didn't get over the line here is racism.

You can blame the deep pockets & funding by USA-based groups for the legislation vote going the way it did. A seriously fear-mongering media campaign meant it missed by a few percent only. Although the local chapter then denied they were funed by the USA group, just using them as 'a resource'.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Geoffm » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:24 am

The cannibis reeferendum failed in my opinion as it's advocates didn't do the hard yards to inform and educate the public. "vote yes, because, you know, man, you should " doesn't cut it. There were legitimate questiosn regarding a number of issues that were glossed over.
- what about stoned drivers and workers and Elf n Safety, and employers laibility and responsibliites
- testing imparement, and differentiating between having CBD in the bloodstream vs being under the influence where the conenction isn't as direct as alchohol
- many would have supported medical marajuana, but not a free for all. I think it was a step to far at once.
- effect on young people if it is more easily available. While it is available from your local tinnie house now, being able to pick it up legally at your local smoke -and-go shop is an order of magnitude different.
Probably other things as well. FWIW, I voted "yes" but it was a line call. I think my wife voted no.
Yes, I like wine and beer too. I have cut back a lot on comsumption as I have got older, although lockdown isn't helping.
I can understand a bottle of bourbon going off from not being consumed. The stuff is foul...
Geoffm

Postby hagfish » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:31 am

To be fair, the cannabis referendum wasn't so much "pot is great!"; as "giving people criminal/prison records is bad". But not that bad, as it happens.
hagfish

Postby phill » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:23 pm

the alcohol effects debate is as convoluted as nothing else
much like the tobacco debate was till the real truth's came out

i have reduced mine to an average of ~10 standard drinks a year .. mostly due to the study that found alcohol and alzheimers was linked to orders of magnitude greater chances of getting it

for those that didnt watch the weed doco on a few nights ago .. it was very interesting in its findings that skunk ( smelly weed above 10% thc levels ) is more likely ( 6x i think from mem ) to cause psychotic episodes but average weed ( =<6% thc ) has the same risk as no weed at all
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Gummint lies / deception / expediency knows no bounds.

Consider for a moment the many, many thousands of litres of petrol that go in to home-use chain saws, blowers, generators, lawn mowers, line trimmers, etc.

The gummint unabashedly accepts the road / fuel tax and vehicle accident ACC premium components of every litre sold, despite it not being used in a vehicle, nor on the road.
Perry

Return to Today's column