YouTube infuriates users (12 Nov, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

YouTube infuriates users (12 Nov, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:05 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/1112.shtml

It seems that YouTube really has overstepped the mark with its latest announcement.

The lies and deceit they've rolled out have been seen for what they are by the community they affect and the announcement video has attracted a massive number of comments, all negative and highly critical.

Will YouTube listen?

Hell, they told us that they *had* listened and that the move was made after consulting the community -- which was obviously just another of their lies.

Please read the comments on that video and enjoy.

What do you as a YouTube user (if you are) think of removing the thumbs-down totals?

How will you know if a video is perhaps a scam or represents disinformation if the public have lost their right to downrank such dross?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: YouTube infuriates users (12 Nov, 2021)

Postby psycik » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:55 am

I don't see subscribers, likes or anything. I got so sick of the whole youtube app experience, that I now pull videos into plex and/or apple podcasts.

I still subscribe to creators and hope that goes some way to funding them, and hopefully a download counts as a play, but the experience is so much better. I don't get the rabbit hole on random content, things play in the order I want (oldest to newest) and are constrained to just the creators i want. Try doing that in the youtube app without a having to renavigate back to your subscriber list after every video, and manually working out next oldest video (their default sort options are recommended and newest)
psycik

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:33 am

What a load of BS! So they'll allow 'gaming' of upvotes but not gaming of downvotes? Why not just show the overall Upvote/Downvote ratio instead then, and let the creator see the actual numbers.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:12 am

Could it be Patreon to the rescue? You'll miss out on YouTube' almighty recommendation engine, but wouldn't it be nice to swap the capricious god YouTube for chaotic god Patreon? It makes spinning up a nice, reliable AWS instance look increasingly attractive.
hagfish

Postby phill » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:03 pm

not a personal issue for me .. you have to be signed in to youtube ( with all the crap that brings ) to like, unlike or comment
i dont sign in and it doesn't seem to know me ( seem being operative )
so im happy with that
i do use the up's n down's to get an idea of what some think of the content but rarely take it into consideration as to whether i will watch or not
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby paulw » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:15 pm

Yes I notice the other week that the down vote totals had gone. A but of the nuisance on some product review videos which are probably the ones they are protecting.
paulw

Postby roygbiv » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:12 am

I am pretty much the same as Phill - just an end user, I do not participate in the social media aspect of YT, ie likes/dislikes/comments and all that tosh. I do subscribe to channels that I think are worthwhile.
But, you have to ask the question as to how they make money out of a free service to me, and yes it is advertising. So they would appease the 'end users' and creators as if they cared, but will obey all the marketing analysis and AI they do - in order to increase their advertising revenue.

If you are a creator with your own channel and getting revenue from YT then you are on their treadmill and they make the rules. 'fairness' does not exist in their vocabulary - although 'popularity' does. I tend not to use YT too much now as the advertising has become too intrusive (no where near NZ free to air though), but they already know that. :|
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:18 am

roygbiv wrote:I am pretty much the same as Phill - just an end user, I do not participate in the social media aspect of YT, ie likes/dislikes/comments and all that tosh. I do subscribe to channels that I think are worthwhile.

The public down-vote total is still very useful for people such as yourself because it enables you to see at a glance whether the video you've clicked on is going to be worth watching. Click-bait and scammy videos pretty quickly get heavily downvoted by the community but if that total is hidden you could mistakenly think that the 1000 up-votes mean the video is good (but it might have, unbeknownst to you, have also scored 10,000 downvotes).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby retroman33366 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:47 pm

And yet another change that breaks there platform... Starting rant mode!
Saturday the UI interface on the TV for YouTube had subtly changed.

Saturday Chromium on the raspberry pi wont load YouTube browser just kills its self (new Bullseye) it was going great gangbusters

Saturday mid morning The UI of YouTube on the desktop (chrome Linux) had lost all the artwork for all the vids including drop-down notification and watch later

Some time Sunday my default YouTube account original before the days of g-mail just switches to my default google one and its my Official Artist Channel and yes I made 54 cents on the last payment cycle... yea I can retire soon made about 42 American freedom units from other services.

Every time they try to fix something they break something I made more money from google play for sales of music than I ever did streaming YouTube music is a pile of steaming crud which my music some are the YouTube videos (demos) and the official vids are not seen pretty jarring when you swap from video to audio.

They are too big hold too many keys to too many locked and fortified entrances...
retroman33366

Return to Today's column