It is worse than I predicted (11 May, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

It is worse than I predicted (11 May, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 11, 2022 7:41 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0511.shtml

I predicted the failure of this marketing campaign but even I was surpised at just how badly it actually turned out.

Not only did businesses and the public fail to engage but it has shaken the reputation of the council's honesty and ethics to the core.

What a shame that the mayor didn't simply listen to my warning instead of bindly ignoring her obligation to ratepayers and instead side with staff that clearly (as I alleged) appear to be incapable of delivering the promises they made.

Who thinks I'll get an apology from that mayor for failing in her civic duty to protect the best interests of ratepayers?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: It is worse than I predicted (11 May, 2022)

Postby greven » Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 am

If they forgot to exclude staff members & their families, did they also forget to add an "obscene gesture" clause? I wonder how many people took this as an opportunity to send the council a middle finder?
greven

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed May 11, 2022 8:45 am

community members who are willing to give freely of their own time, efforts, skills, knowledge and experience

Ah, there's the problem. Some of those entrenched minds obviously still equate free with worthless and the corollary of if it costs a lot then it must be brilliant. These people do not understand or even consider the intrinsic merit of something, and look at the $ cost as the only yardstick.

I wouldn't even call that sloppy or lazy thinking, as it's closer to dogma than a lack of effort!
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 am

And, to further show the incompetence of both the marketing and communications department, here's a screenshot of the SWDC's "In Touch" publication which is sent to all households.

Read the last sentence of the text (image included in this post)

swdcemailaddress.jpg

First problem: Why would you require people to send an email just to get the T&C for the promotion. This would require every query to be handled by staff who'd have to read the email and reply with the T&C attached to that email. Why waste staff time when those T&C could/should be posted to a website and the URL simply published instead; once that's done... no more staff time required.

Second problem: Nobody even checked that the published email address was valid and, since this is an "ink on paper" hardcopy, they can't even fix this problem after all the "In Touch" publications have been delivered to households. Can't be bothered proof-reading? Don't understand how email addresses are formed? Or just don't care because they get paid every month regardless of performance?

What an ill-performing money-pit local government can be when it's so poorly run.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 am

There's an unlikely-looking URL in the text a '.co' address that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with fraud and spam. Happily, anyone guessing '.co.nz' will end up here.
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed May 11, 2022 9:32 am

Two attempts at email address, two fails. Umm, shouldn't that be ...@southwaikato.govt.nz? I see from a quick search swdc.govt.nz is for South Wairarapa District Council, so swdc.co.nz would be even more confusing (and strictly speaking incorrect).

Still, doesn't beat the letter we received from a Support organisation recently: actual 2 page printed letter with underlined text Click here for details. Not even a visible URL :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby greven » Wed May 11, 2022 9:44 am

hagfish wrote:There's an unlikely-looking URL in the text a '.co' address that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with fraud and spam. Happily, anyone guessing '.co.nz' will end up here.

That is fantastic. Clearly this was an elaborate puzzle to tell you how much the council loves star wars.

The .co address was correct however, so perhaps they are trying to attract more Colombians to the area?
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 am

Yes, it makes obvious sense for a rural district council in heartland New Zealand to register a Columbian domain name.

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Wed May 11, 2022 11:54 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Yes, it makes obvious sense for a rural district council in heartland New Zealand to register a Columbian domain name.

Sigh!

makes perfect sense: obscure domain name = less incoming mail = less work to read said mail.

clowns...
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed May 11, 2022 12:47 pm

joeseph wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Yes, it makes obvious sense for a rural district council in heartland New Zealand to register a Columbian domain name.

Sigh!

makes perfect sense: obscure domain name = less incoming mail = less work to read said mail.

clowns...

Or just publish an invalid email address and never have to worry about putting down your coffee cup again :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column