The scammers keep on ringing (13 May, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The scammers keep on ringing (13 May, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0513.shtml

So why wouldn't the Visa support centre issue me a replacement for my expired credit card?

:lol:

Yes, the scammers keep on calling because, by virtue of still having a landline, they figure I'm old (correct) and of feeble mind (not yet) -- thus the perfect target for their deceptions and frauds.

It's nice to waste their time and leave them confused but what better ways are there to ruin their day? Any ideas?

What do you do when scammers call you?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The scammers keep on ringing (13 May, 2022)

Postby decibel » Fri May 13, 2022 12:27 pm

My response used to be - "Does your mother know you work for a thief?"

Most of the scammers then sounded embarrassed and ended the conversation but one recent person said "Yes" so I hung up.

Since then I haven't got into any conversations - just hung up.

Maybe I might try your trick next.
decibel

Postby greven » Fri May 13, 2022 6:08 pm

Unfortunately education doesn't seem to be working, but it is still the best tool we have. The scammers somehow get the elderly hooked even when the mark has all the knowledge to protect themselves. I have had customers scammed multiple times & they realise they have been scammed almost as soon as they are off the phone, but they just can't see it while they are actually talking to the scammer.

Some people keep themselves safe by refusing to talk to anyone with a foreign accent, but that cuts out most legitimate companies too.
greven

Postby roygbiv » Sat May 14, 2022 5:52 pm

Similar to the scammer who asked you where you got the number, you could also ask the same - and actually ask what number they dialled. That would be interesting.

My wife has had a genuine call from the bank who immediately asked her to identify herself. She refused asking them to identify themselves by giving her details about her that only her bank knew - because she thought they were scammers - stalemate. She then complained to the bank later and told them to get their act together if they wished to continue to do business together.ie check out her number is correct before calling her and announcing themselves properly.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 pm

Sounds a bit like telecon / ashes / embers / sparked - whatever they call themselves these days.

Please provide ID proof, sir.

Why? You made changes to my account with no authorisation from me, so change it back to the way it was using the same ID.

That change was automatic, sir.

Well, then get the necessary ID details from that same Mr or Mrs Automatic.

Long silence . . .

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Perry

Return to Today's column