How to survive the inflation (16 May, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

How to survive the inflation (16 May, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 16, 2022 8:36 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0516.shtml

We've all been through hard times so what advice do you have for those who may be about to endure another period of high inflation , stagnant income and stretched budgets?

Might we be better off teaching people how to reduce their food costs by way of home cropping and a community-based cooperative exchage of produce?

Or is it simpler just to hike taxes and throw more money at those who can't afford enough food to feed their families?

Could we create change by educating kids about home-cropping in the hope that they show their parents the benefits and it becomes a family activity?

Does anyone else remember "the good old days" when people in the street used to swap home-grown produce with each other?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: How to survive the inflation (16 May, 2022)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon May 16, 2022 9:06 am

A few years ago I ended up jobless for a period. Main savings were pretty much leave the vehicle in the garage, so no long drives, short travel by bicycle. Amazing savings on petrol! Now I'm in the habit of biking to work as long as the weather isn't too detrimental (hosing down with rain, or clear but icy - not fun on a hill!).

Also grew up with a vege garden where we lived, whether it be Auckland or Invercargill. So that's always been a natural thing to have veges growing. Sometimes cool to look at the lack of food miles on the plate in the evening, and then see the costs of the same veges in the supermarket.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Perry » Mon May 16, 2022 11:43 am

Bruce wrote:Energy costs are a great place to start. Drive less, walk more? Be more diligent about turning off the lights when you leave the room, have shorter showers, wear a jumper instead of cranking up the heat -- that sort of thing.
Turning off lights saves three quarters of five eighths of bugger all. Especially with LEDs and CFLs. Halving shower time would be a so much greater saving.

Bruce wrote:What were the toughest times you've been through and how did you cope?
Early married life, supporting a wife and kid. I used a motor bike to get to work. My wife walked everywhere. The only bright spot back then was there were jobs-a-plenty. I think I was on about 14 pounds-a-week, back then. Came in cash in little brown envelopes with a payslip.

Bruce wrote:Might we be better off providing the struggling masses with the tools and knowledge they need to help themselves, rather than just throwing money at them to enrich the coffers of Progressive and Foodstuffs?
Not really fair to blame food suppliers. They cater to a need, for a profit.

Too many would sneer at the idea of getting their hands dirty, even if it was a saving. The flavour of a fresh, home-grown carrot is amazing. I recommend Chantenay Red Core. A heritage variety with real taste and seeds are still available.

The teaching of overall financial intelligence would be a great thing to add to your list, Bruce.
Perry

Postby phill » Mon May 16, 2022 9:47 pm

first community pataka kai was placed over the weekend ( i was surprised at the amount of people that seemed to think continual take was their entitlement )
it gives a good place for everyone to put extra fruit, veges and seedlings
i made 2 raised gardens from the next door neighbors replaced fence so salad greens have been fresh and in daily use since the start of summer
hopefully these are not flash in the pan ideas and the community garden gets enough to keep it active and growing
that should start an attitude change from entitlement to community caring and responsibility
Last edited by phill on Tue May 17, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby hagfish » Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am

There's a huge amount of stuff happening at grass-roots level. Crop swaps, pātataka kai, waste diversion, training opportunities for rangatahi. Capital wants us divided and helpless, but once we come out of our shells (or are forced out), communities can be very resilient. The affluent might be twitching their curtains and wishing they had a bunker, but the rest of us are getting on with it.
hagfish

Postby Perry » Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 pm

hagfish wrote:Capital wants us divided and helpless . . .
What an unpleasant, unwarranted and generalised stereotype.

Next you'll be suggesting that communism wants us to be free and prosperous.

As far as I know, only communist states have to have walls or defences around them.
Not to stop people from breaking in to joyously be a part of the communist utopia.
No.
To stop people from breaking out to escape the evil realities of a communist utopia!

Remember that if you have so much as $10 deposited in the bank - then you're a capitalist.

A free enterprise economy beats a communist economy, each and every time.

At least the people in a free enterprise economy can pick and choose.

The people in any "Peoples' Republic" take what they're given. If they're lucky.
Perry

Postby phill » Tue May 17, 2022 6:18 pm

Perry wrote:Next you'll be suggesting that communism wants us to be free and prosperous.

A free enterprise economy beats a communist economy, each and every time.

a/ it does .. none of the autocratic dictatorships outwardly parading as communist parties have such lofty ideals .. we do not and never have had a real communist political system running on this planet

b/ no it would not .. if we ever do get a communist government setup almost all would be happier .. the notable exception being the excessively greedy and or corrupt
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Perry » Tue May 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Perry wrote:Next you'll be suggesting that communism wants us to be free and prosperous.
phill wrote:a/ it does .. none of the autocratic dictatorships outwardly parading as communist parties have such lofty ideals .. we do not and never have had a real communist political system running on this planet
Right. If at first you get corrupted, don't let that stop you trying again.
Have you booked your ticket to ride, yet?

Perry wrote:A free enterprise economy beats a communist economy, each and every time.
phill wrote:b/ no it would not .. if we ever do get a communist government setup almost all would be happier .. the notable exception being the excessively greedy and or corrupt
Almost all? Yeah, right. Fantasyland stuff.

Happiest will be the pigs at the top, just as in "Animal Farm."
Perry

Postby phill » Tue May 17, 2022 9:16 pm

plain fact is .. it would work .. and work really well .. for the people and the planet
are we advanced / civilized / adult enough atm to do it ... unlikely
there are a few .. but it needs a majority to reach that point before it will work

phill

Postby Perry » Wed May 18, 2022 9:21 am

There is no 'fact' plain, at all.

In such a fantasy hypothesis, a majority would not suffice.

Total acceptance would be needed.

And total is part of the word, "totalitarian," is it not?
Perry

Return to Today's column