You can not get cheaper than free (20 May, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

You can not get cheaper than free (20 May, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 20, 2022 9:08 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0520.shtml

Is the Jolt/Mitre10 strategy a clever one?

Might the concept of offering a few KWH of free recharge for EV owners become a powerful tool for attracting customers and their wallets?

Could this become a huge boon for outlying districts for whom the tyranny of distance poses a real problem for the businesses that reside there?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: You can not get cheaper than free (20 May, 2022)

Postby phill » Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 am

i suspect at least the first roll outs will be major mitre 10 stores that have few or no neighbors to easily walk to
it is just the electric equivalent of 4c a ltr when you buy groceries .. with ads but no compulsory purchase .. at this time

for me it would work well
i often visit the mitre 10 store and there would be no problem walking to the other 4-5 large stores near enough to it
as a bonus if my car was almost full when i started it would have done 30-40 kms to the charger.. so all in the free area
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby granada29 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 pm

TANSTAAFL
granada29

Postby Perry » Fri May 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Tokoroa may be an egregious example, but all councils are tarred with the same brush.

Just imagine councils putting in EV re-charge, instead of parking meters. Or combination such things.

Why bother when councils have a statute-backed, regulatory-function monopoly with captive payees and Draconian enforcement powers?

Innovation? Whazzat? A sheep drench?
Perry

Postby joeseph » Fri May 20, 2022 4:01 pm

free, my arse.... it'll always be paid for by someone, and that won't be Mitre10 - it'll be the consumer at the end.
joeseph

Postby greven » Fri May 20, 2022 4:47 pm

I feel for the poor minimum wage workers who will cop abuse from Karens whenever the free charging spots are full or out of order.
greven

Postby roygbiv » Sat May 21, 2022 9:19 am

I am watching, watching. See how the EV pricing and charging develops, it is a growing industry. In the last few years has really gained traction. My next car will be a hybrid, after that an EV maybe, by then it may just be a novelty having an old manual ICE, and only for the wealthy.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat May 21, 2022 9:25 am

I think hybrids will drop by the way-side pretty quickly because they still have all the maintenance costs (regular oil, coolant, filters, etc) associated with an ICE.

The great thing about pure EVs is that even the brakes are hardly ever in need of replacement (thanks to regenerative braking). Maintenance probably consists mainly of replacing the wiper blades at the start of every second winter.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sat May 21, 2022 10:34 am

aardvark_admin wrote:I think hybrids will drop by the way-side pretty quickly because they still have all the maintenance costs (regular oil, coolant, filters, etc) associated with an ICE.

The great thing about pure EVs is that even the brakes are hardly ever in need of replacement (thanks to regenerative braking). Maintenance probably consists mainly of replacing the wiper blades at the start of every second winter.

silicon blades .. they last a lot longer
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby paulw » Sat May 21, 2022 4:05 pm

Been looking at EV and hybrids over the past week. EVs still way too expensive for something with a 400Km range. Not really interested in a normal hybrid as they only seem to be a fuel saver as they do stuff all on electric mode. Looked at a few PHEV and even those are expensive compared to their ICEV family. Both Toyota and Mazda which I like and are reliable are just too far behind. Sure Mazda has a pure EV the MX50 but at $74999 for a 230 range car is over the top. Toyota have no PHEVs any longer only normal ones with a 6 month plus wait for delivery. Looked at Kia EV6 is very expensive starting at about $74 grand for the short range version to $106 grand to the long range version and the Niro is not due in the country in EV or PHEV until at least August and will be expensive. Guess I'll just stick with my Mazda CX5 for a while longer . Can but a lot of gas for the $25 grand change over price.
paulw

Next

Return to Today's column