Dairy disaster (7 Jun, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Dairy disaster (7 Jun, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:01 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0607.shtml

Is the NZ dairy industry losing it's comprehension of what "truth" is?

Are they really "unsubsidised" or has everyone forgotten about the carbon offsets that taxpayers must buy on their behalf to offset the 17 million tonnes of carbon emissions that they create annually?

Is Dairy NZ doing itself a disservice by setting unreasonable expectations when people like myself make honest inquiries?

Or are they really just unable to come up with examples of how the industry is working to address their GHG problems?

I'd love to be touting the way that this industry is working in the best interests of both the planet and the people of NZ -- but they're making it really hard to do that.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Dairy disaster (7 Jun, 2022)

Postby phill » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am

they have a point to not include emissions tax .. not all countries at this point are putting on an emissions tax to farmers

https://carbonpricingdashboard.worldbank.org/map_data

then there is the question of who owns the emissions
the manufacturer ( farmer ) or the consumer .. who may be in another country

we can compare with oil .. the tax is paid by the consumer not the driller

there is one major reason why it's cheaper for the consumer if the consumer pays the tax than it is if the manufacturer pays the tax ( 100% profit on cost + tax is a lot more profit than 100% profit just on cost )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:41 am

The consumer *always* pays the tax - because even if the manufacturer actually hands over the cash, they recover it by way of passing those costs on to consumers in the price.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:38 am

the point was if the manufacturer pays it they add it to the cost too produce and then the profit margin is added on top of that
so the consumer ends up paying more for the final product and the manufacturer makes even more profit
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column