Move over Japan, here comes China (15 Jun, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Move over Japan, here comes China (15 Jun, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:44 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0615.shtml

Yes, your next new-car purchase (if there is such a thing in your plans) is increasingly likely to be a Chinese-made EV.

I think we're about to see a startling transition from European/Japanese designed and built vehicles to vehicles made in China.

What's more, we're also likely to see the emergence and popularity of a new type of EV commuter vehicle where absolute range is not the selling feature, price, total cost of ownership and convenience are.

If we can get many of those bigger ICE-powered cars off our motorways and roads during the morning and evening commutes then we (and the planet) will be much better off. With petrol headed North of $4/litre then nobody will really be able to afford to drive an ICE to work in a few short years' time so a commuter-EV or public transport might be the only affordable options.

What's your opinion? Would it be worth it for you to buy a cheap commuter EV for around-town trips?

Remember how small the original Mini was but how we managed to do so much with it? Surely an EV equivalent (in terms of size) with a price-point that matched or was lower than the cheapest new ICE vehicle on the market would be a winner.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Move over Japan, here comes China (15 Jun, 2022)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 am

Target: something like the Suzuki Swift or Toyota Yaris in size (less weight hopefully), range 150km and pricing $25k or under. That would very quickly become THE main car on the road.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Target: something like the Suzuki Swift or Toyota Yaris in size (less weight hopefully), range 150km and pricing $25k or under. That would very quickly become THE main car on the road.

You just described a used import Nissan Leaf.
Malcolm

Postby joeseph » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:33 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Would it be worth it for you to buy a cheap commuter EV for around-town trips?

sure, but there's the issue of overnight charging - I can park outside my house quite often so could (potentially :mrgreen: ) run a lead to the house, but if not it would then become a right PITA to have to find a charging station & wait all the time.

swappa-battery technology might change my mind.
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:42 am

Don't forget that small batteries can be charged pretty damned quickly. Just plug into the big bay of fast-chargers at your local supermarket while you do your shopping and when you come out your battery has an extra 100Km of range in it.

Most Kiwis do have facility to charge overnight at their homes but wherever you go you're going to have to park and we will have a good infrastructure of recharing stations available so you'll probably never be too far from a top-up. Eventually each parking meter may also include a recharger capability. Both your parking and recharge fees will be billed at the same time.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:13 am

aardvark_admin wrote: we will have a good infrastructure of recharging stations available so you'll probably never be too far from a top-up.

I do love your optimism Bruce! :D
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 am

joeseph wrote:I do love your optimism Bruce! :D

It's optimism tempered with some awareness of the abilities and demands of the technology involved :-)

EVs will also become an important part of our total energy management and in fact, as "burst generators" such as solar become more commonplace, we'll more than likely be using our cars as a way of soaking up that extra energy generation during the day so that we can use it at night.

Plug your EV into the recharger at work (which might even be powered by solar panels on the building's rooftop) then plug that same EV into your house when you get home and it'll power your lights, TV, fridge and other stuff during the "peak demand" period when prices and stress on the grid is at its highest. This means we won't have to keep upgrading our national grid to carry extra load as the nation grows and will also reduce the need for more thermal and hydro generation schemes.

Our energy future needs to be a synergy of multiple generation sources and multiple energy transport/delivery mechanisms. The EV will be an integral part of that, far beyond its ability to act as a form of personal transport.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:48 pm

joeseph wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Would it be worth it for you to buy a cheap commuter EV for around-town trips?

sure, but there's the issue of overnight charging - I can park outside my house quite often so could (potentially :mrgreen: ) run a lead to the house, but if not it would then become a right PITA to have to find a charging station & wait all the time.

swappa-battery technology might change my mind.

At least you can fill it at home, or even at work. Can't do that with a petrol or diesel vehicle. You need to find a dedicated place which supplies it and then wait for it to be pumped in to your tank.

They said similar things about petrol cars when they were introduced "You will need to have a network of these dedicated filling places all over the country." And well, we do. I think Z has said they are going to be installing rapid chargers for electrics at all of their sites now as well. In a short time you will never be too far from an electric charging depot.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:37 pm

there is not as much work or development to get there than you think
china has for many years been making mini and micro trucks, vans and cars
but powering them with lead acid batteries
doesn't take much to change the production line to lithium type rechargeable packs
https://www.made-in-china.com/productdi ... =1&org=top
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby phill » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:41 pm

joeseph wrote: - I can park outside my house quite often so could (potentially :mrgreen: ) run a lead to the house, .

there is an increasing use of induction charging pads
just park over it and it charges the vehicle as needed
obviously most are just sitting on the garage floor
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Next

Return to Today's column