A new twist to Covid 19 (16 Jun, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A new twist to Covid 19 (16 Jun, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:46 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0616.shtml

How soon do we get back to "live as normal" and relegate CV19 to "flu" status?

Given that it now appears the virus has moderated in its lethality quite significantly and that infection provides little or no protection from re-infection, isn't it time to simply accept that it has become like the common cold or flu?

Is it time to ditch the orange light restrictions and get back to business as usual?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A new twist to Covid 19 (16 Jun, 2022)

Postby granada29 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:40 am

I don't mind putting on a face covering to enter a dairy or other retail outlet. It's all theatre but there's no need to be confrontational about it.

On the other hand, I am really upset that vaccine passes are still being required by many events and clubs. This just shows lack of understanding by the organisers/committees when the daily statistics show that vaccinated or not, people can still be covid positive. Sure, there is some variance in stats between the 2 groups but is it any worse than influenza?

I have a feeling that it won't be long until we see both influenza and monkeypox vaccination as being requirements to have a current pass.

And yes - the traffic light restrictions are also just theatre.
granada29

Postby hagfish » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:15 am

aardvark_admin wrote:but we can't live the rest of our lives with this restriction

Just watch me.
hagfish

Postby NickBond » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:15 pm

"Long Covid" is the major difference when comparing it to the flu and I feel is going to be more
of an issue in the year to come.
If CV19 becomes something that you get yearly,like the flu, the chances of getting long-covid also
increases. (And whats the possibility of symptoms of long-covid getting worse overtime due to mutations?)
There's are new studies out that "suggest there may be distinct parallels between the effects of COVID-19 on the brain and the early stages of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s." (https://www.smh.com.au/national/austral ... 5atnp.html)
That, to me , is worrying.
NickBond

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:25 pm

NickBond wrote:There's are new studies out that "suggest there may be distinct parallels between the effects of COVID-19 on the brain and the early stages of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s." (https://www.smh.com.au/national/austral ... 5atnp.html)
That, to me , is worrying.

Ah... so I have a head-start on all of you! :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:00 pm

It seems the mantra of Omicron is less severe than previous strains was more based on wishful thinking rather than actual data. Studies have suggested that while it is less severe than Delta, it is actually close to the original strain, it just initially appeared less so because earlier strains had already been through the population or in our case we had good vaccine coverage either picking off the most vulnerable or improving the immune system's ability to recognise and fight it. Now it is looking like the 2nd and 3rd wave infections are getting nastier for people who have had it and recovered. Also don't forget that more people have died from Omicron and it's substrains than all previous variants.
Malcolm

Postby paulw » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 pm

"Well, as was predicted by myself and many others, it seems that CV19 is effectively becoming more like influenza or even the common cold."
Everyone know this except the government and a few Kerens on FB and Twitter. It's time to remove all the Covid mandates and return to normal. I gave up wearing a mask anywhere about 3 weeks ago and have not been challenged yet.
My wife and granddaughter got Covid just before easter but I didn't so maybe immuned.
paulw

Postby greven » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:54 pm

granada29 wrote:I don't mind putting on a face covering to enter a dairy or other retail outlet. It's all theatre but there's no need to be confrontational about it.

Masks are still the most effective tool we have, and they help reduce the spread of more than just Covid.

Imagine how much unnecessary suffering could be avoided if we took the flu more seriously instead of making light of Covid.
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:09 pm

greven wrote:Masks are still the most effective tool we have, and they help reduce the spread of more than just Covid.

It's about striking a balance.

If we all stayed home and relied on government workers to deliver our every need, communicating only via electronic means and not venturing out in public then we could effectively wipe out *all* communicable diseases in less than a year. Wow... what a fantastic outcome -- but we won't do that will we because the "inconvenience" cost is too great.

Live on your knees or die on your feet -- that's the choice.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column