Three Waters - good or bad? (30 Jun, 2022)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Three Waters - good or bad? (30 Jun, 2022)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2022/0630.shtml

Okay, I admit that I've not done a snot-load of research on this but it certainly seems to be a very divisive issue.

The right (especially the far-right) are claiming that this is a move to create Maori rule here in NZ and that Labour have turned an "aspirational" plan into the guidelines for new policies and legislation that looks set to create a nation where Maori have a disproportionate amount of control -- thus violating the most basic tenets of a democracy.

Is this true or are we just being BSed by a bunch of right-wing loonies?

The bigger question is: Have we not outgrown the concept of race-based policies and legislation by now?

Surely there is no such thing as "positive discrimination" because for every winner there are going to be losers who will effectively be discriminated against because of the preference given to others.

Can't we just all be "Kiwis" or will The Treaty forever be a dividing document, rather than the unifying one that it was intended to be?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Three Waters - good or bad? (30 Jun, 2022)

Postby joeseph » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:29 am

apparently Phil Geoff is dead set against it, given that I'd say it's worth looking at...
joeseph

Postby hiscoca » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:37 am

Put a mark on the wall Bruce for once I fully and unreservedly agree with your view on this
hiscoca

Postby hagfish » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 am

We are already well served for half-baked reckons about race, politics, economics. No need to weigh in with mine.
hagfish

Postby phill » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 pm

sadly you are correct
we are making changes that we may never be able to correct
at best it may only take generations
( ,,,,,,,, ....... '''''' to too tu two A E I O U use em sparingly there's probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby keyman26 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:46 pm

Pete Williams is not a fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZrmt-o ... mGilchrist

Certainly makes some good points - would be interested to hear the other side / counter claims.

apparent nepotism on behalf of the Minister is never a good look either.
keyman26

Postby Perry » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:46 pm

hagfish wrote:Image
We are already well served for half-baked reckons about race, politics, economics.

Science & Tech is already under the racist wrecking ball and it was in a parlous state to start with.
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm

Many of the worthy burghers of Christchurch are right royal pissed off with the 3W impositions. For more than a century we've had export-grade pure unsullied water at the tap. But because it theoretically could be contaminated Our Glorious Leaders are demanding that it has to be UV and Chlorine sterilised at enormous expense. This is after all the well-heads & network valves have been raised above ground level because if they weren't, a leak could have contaminants sucked into the potable water supplies. No-one has been able to explain how water can leak into a pipe that is pressurised at approx 120psi .

The chlorinated water tastes foul and there's also a un-addressed problem that older models of hot water cylinders are damaged by chlorine and start leaking decades earlier than would be expected. No-one up at Fort Fumble has made any offers to compensate affected home owners.

A classic example of "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!"
~ Kiwiiano
“I've no idea of how to act my age, I’ve never been this old before!”
Kiwiiano

Return to Today's column