Your new ISP... Google (4 June, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Your new ISP... Google (4 June, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:32 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0604.shtml

What is Google's motive for filling the skies with orbiting satellites delivering internet connectivity?

Is there really enough money to be earned from 3rd-world countries to justify the enormous expense of such a network?

Or is the company planning on going head-on with other ISPs in developed nations?

Would you sign up to Google's version of SkyNet if the price was right?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Your new ISP... Google (4 June, 2014)

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 am

As a nomad in NZ and OZ trying to get connectivity where ever I am at an affordable price is a mission in itself that I have amanged to crack using a varity of solutions in most places - but this is the answer - maybe. A lot depends on price and what extra hardware that I will need. Perfect for when we are in the OZ outback where there is no connectivity at all for anything. Travelling in the outback with no connectivity on holiday is great but when you have to live and or work there, it is a different story. I have to work wherever I am and need the net to work so I am looking forward to more info.
Stevesub

Postby mad » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

There are a number of these type of LEO satelite services offering global T/com services,

Despite all the hoopla about providing services to the 3rd world, the biggest users are organisations like large multi-national corporations and military groups ( the DOD account for 25% of Iridium's income)

There are still very large chunks of developed countries that are outside of traditional wireless
mad

Postby Screw » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am

There are several companies that are looking at this. Project Internet is another one.

I have been in the boonies of Africa where there are no toilets, no power and cellphones everywhere! Perhaps it would be better to use that.
Screw

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:52 pm

I wonder how much use this have in the end. Obviously it'll bring internet to the masses that can't access it already but what sort of experience will they have. The bandwidth of a satellite is finite and I presume Google would have to bid for certain parts of the spectrum to use. I know people with Farmside and they're forever complaining about the speed and caps of the thing, especially during prime time. Would be good to see a decent satellite initiative but I don't think it'll give those users what they want, especially with the size of webpages these days and the predominance of video etc on the web. Cynically speaking it could be seen as a move by Google to show that it's involved in R&D with an eye on it's share price at the same time.
goosemoose

Postby chyba » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Sunspots just love satellites, it is like ten pin bowling for them. Remember Quebec,93 seconds. :shock:
chyba

Postby Screw » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Kentucky Fried Satellite for dinner Chyb?
Screw

Postby needtohover » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:02 am

i think its a bid to win the race to be the best at gathering personal info... facebook being its chief competitor.. Just wait.. google will win just as soon as they get google glass out in the public. Then we can look forward to the kinds of privacy invasion you would only think was in the movies. Imagine being able to tap into what people are seeing.. as well as all the other fears people have about how secure their info really is.
needtohover

Postby enerider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Glass is meeting resistance: http://julianoliver.com/output/log_2014-05-30_20-52

So I don't think Google's All-Seeing-Eye is going to fully blossom at this point
enerider

Postby GlennB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm

When Bill Gates was stupidly spouting on about creating a competitor to the Internet, his plan was to put a network of satellites up there - it was going to called the Microsoft Network, aka MSN. Once that folly got shouted down, MSN morphed into a differnt set of projects having nothing to do with a network.

If Google say they're going to do something, I'd trust them more than MS to do it, but I do wonder about the need/demand for a LEO network. It appears only a select segment of the internet using public will need this service, which seems quite an un-Google like project for Google to implement.
GlennB

Return to Today's column