When smart is dumb (10 June, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

When smart is dumb (10 June, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:43 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0610.shtml

Are you looking forward to an era when virtually all our appliances and devices are "smart", reling on ubiquitous connectivity and inbuilt processors to deliver added features and functionality?

What can we do to avoid the increasingly common situation where the "smarts" actually make those devices increasingly vulnerable to the attentions of crackers and other evil little sods?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: When smart is dumb (10 June, 2014)

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:47 am

aardvark_admin wrote:What can we do to avoid the increasingly common situation where the "smarts" actually make those devices increasingly vulnerable to the attentions of crackers and other evil little sods?

Smart TV's are a dumb idea [for the consumer]. Typically we keep TV's [and monitors] far longer than we keep stuff like computers, simply because computer technology is advancing far faster than display technology.

When I was looking for a new TV recently I just looked for the best bang for my buck in terms of display & the requisite connectors. All the 'smart' features come from a Raspberry Pi running XBMC that acesses content from my server / DVB PVR box, or streams from the web.
Hiro Protagonist

Postby goosemoose » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:12 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Are you looking forward to an era when virtually all our appliances and devices are "smart", reling on ubiquitous connectivity and inbuilt processors to deliver added features and functionality??

Nope. I actively look for un-smart devices. I don't my fridge arguing with the stove in the middle of the night or my 2 freezers complaining about who's got the most meat in it or my chainsaw updating a facebook page with how many logs I've cut. The less smarts the better. There's less to go wrong. All this smart technology will eventually be used to milk us for cash. I don't want my chainsaw not to start because it can't get a network connection or because I've used it for X hours and it's algorithms have decided it needs a new chain. I will decide thanks.

I'm dreading buying a replacement car in the not to distant future. Because I never buy new cars my choice will be mid 00 models with half baked smarts that are more annoyances than anything else. I probably won't be able to disable them either or if I can it will affect the car in some horrid way.

Yep I'm a bit of a Luddite but FK it.
goosemoose

Postby Stevesub » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm

I have a boot in both camps. I love my smart phone and what it can do for me, my tablet is also great but when it comes to other appliances the dumber the better. Why have an oven with 10 buttons when 2 dials will do the same job. Same with a fridge, no smarts needed there, dishwasher, same again, the simpler the better. Now I do have a motive for these dumb appliances, my wife and to some extent myself.

Most appliances are too complicated for everyday use and I have trouble remembering what button to push and when, etc - all too hard in-necessarily and I am sort of a geek, how is the great unwashed getting on, and my wife.

My wive loves our fairly new basic model Toyota Camry, why, the radio and air-con etc controls are all well laid out, big letters and big knobs/buttons, easy to use. If we had the up market model, then you get multiple buttons, touch screens, menu's etc which is just nuts when trying to drive on the road as well as operating these things.

KISS works well but the principals are being lost by the manufacturers of today.
Stevesub

Postby Screw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:17 pm

And what happens when there is a massive sunfart? It's been known to un-smart technology smartly. Will the smart technology be smart enough to protect itself from a non-smart sun?
Screw

Postby latewings » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:22 pm

The Bosch dryer Mrs LW and I owned for 13 years died last year after much faithful service. Replacement Bosch was purchased. Just a dial setting and a start button, but behind that knob lurks a malevolent fuzzy logic unit sensing the moisture in it's womb, ensuring the creases are minimised and the power consumption is too.

Translation: It's a pile-o-{Deleted: Ed}

Now the most used setting it the 20 minute heat cycle. Why? Because the unit is too stupid to figure out when the clothes are actually dry, and we cannot override how it decides when they are. So we're disadvantaged by a machine trying its best to help.

There's a reason I like riding my 600cc motorcycle. I get to decide how the machine works. It's a slave to my wishes, not the other way around.
latewings

Postby roygbiv » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I have a dishwasher, it has a stack of buttons and lights of which I have never cared to look at or find out what they all mean. It has one button that I use and that is 'start'. Once dishes are loaded the white stuff is put in the receptacle, door closed, button pushed, go to bed, wake up, all stuff inside is clean. Is it smart and I am dumb, or am I smart and it is dumb. Do I care ?
I cannot see how the internet will help this relationship
EoM
roygbiv

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 am

roygbiv wrote:I cannot see how the internet will help this relationship

Simple, you can set it to start washing remotely if you forgot to press the start button when you loaded. Even better is some smart-arsed kid could remote in and start it at random times just for laughs.
Malcolm

Postby latewings » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Even better is some smart-arsed kid could remote in and start it at random times just for laughs.

I expect it's more likely the manufacturer will be interrogating the device for breach of warranty.

"Sorry Mr Latewings, but the warranty for the door latch on your dishwasher is for 365 cycles only. While you do have another three months on the twelve month warranty, that part has been excluded"
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Or will it be the secret microphones and cameras that the likes of the GCSB and NSA will demand be covertly incorporated into every "intelligent" appliance that will the the real worry? (LOL).
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column