What do you do? (11 June, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: What do you do? (11 June, 2014)

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 am

Steve's idea is a good one, Bruce. Given the trying events you've
described, over the years, a political solution seems called for.
Perry

Postby goldedge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Why do you have to fly over an "Airfield"?. You could put the neccessary gear in a van or truck for example?
Will your system work with land or sea based model vehicles, perhaps with an algorithm to simulate random height data and response?
Why not contact / work with an overseas company to bring it to market US UK or china?

Another option would be to partner with someone else to test at another geographic location?

Keep on trucking don't waste your time with the tossers :-)
goldedge

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 pm

No, unfortunately the system requires interaction with some ground-based test-gear that can't easily be relocated. Some of the lab-based gear isn't "generator friendly" and besides which, it's kind of handy to be testing an SAA system at an airfield where there are going to be aircraft in the area to "sense".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:No, unfortunately the system requires interaction with some ground-based test-gear that can't easily be relocated. Some of the lab-based gear isn't "generator friendly" and besides which, it's kind of handy to be testing an SAA system at an airfield where there are going to be aircraft in the area to "sense".

How far from completion (all going well) is the project, AAdmin, and how many supporters capable of flying a quadcopter "unsupervised" do you have in the area? Could a community achieve something the Council have failed to do? Would a global crowd-funded project be a goer....if the interest in collision avoidance is anything to go by. Any University or Research Institute able to take up cudgels on your behalf? Maybe not enough people with interest, $$ and influence know about your efforts. Or are you trying to avoid any sort of repeat of the 7am fiasco?

I doubt that the bluster about "interfering" with other gear is anything more than just that. How can they prove you created the interference without very sophisticated knowledge & gear that I suspect only you have access to.

Calling their bluff about "go back and start again" could backfire on them if you applied and got sidelined again. The Minister would have some explaining to do and they don't like that.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Screw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:01 pm

The minister wouldn't explain Kiwi, he would just skirt around the issue saying things like, "That's just your opinion, etc".

Remember that none of the clowns in Parliament are very bright, not even Johnny. What they are good at is manipulation, hell, just look at Maurice Williamson, not the brightest lamp in the chandelier, Bill English is another. Judith Collins is as calculating as a bush pig but not bright enough to see that her little excursion would come out. And out Johnny can't even tell the same story twice. Brownlee is just a dim slob.
Screw

Postby hellonearthis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Do the CAA application for a COA (Commercial Operating Authority) again, add more than a online statement on safety even though that one line covers everything, putting in ten obvious things would help fill their bureaucratic contentment requirements. You could even borrow that paperwork box ticking data from other organisations in the field, the so called industry best practices. Yes, documentation/paper work sucks as but it's the lifeblood of the ineptly deskbound bureaucrats.

If that fails then get some of the bigger press onto it, as your being discriminated against and it is depriving New Zealand of export dollars.

Last option would be to get a new studio outside of the zone of influence of those dickheads, isn't licensing only needed if you operate with x km of an airfield.
Some lifestyle block with a flash drive might be enough to get it going.
hellonearthis

Postby Jetboy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 am

I'm not exactly sure what 'exemption' you got from CAA, but just come across this one on their site.

http://www.caa.govt.nz/rules/Exemptions/14_EXE_56.pdf

means anyone already having a RPL, PPL, glider or balloon licence can now fly RC drones etc. near airfields
Jetboy

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 pm

How crap is that -- there's a general exemption that allows people with PPLs (who may have *no* experience or knowledge of RC models) can fly such a craft within 4Km of an airfield but *I*, who am one of the world's leading figureheads in the RC hobby, who have proven skills, knowledge and experience, as well as an unquestionably positive attitude to safety, and is working on a ground-breaking piece of aviation-safety technology am forbidden -- because CAA don't want to upset the grumpy old men at MFNZ.

Shows just how corrupt and screwed the CAA in my honest opinion.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Jetboy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:23 pm

just keep it under your hat - it does give you some ability to do things - even if you need a buddy who has one of those licences to be with you - and you need not bother any grumpy old men, nobody to look down their noses for your wings badge cause you dont need one. For the reasons in the exemption I really think it makes sense. I'd rather have a pilot with little RC experience mucking about at the field than one of the experienced RC mob who have absolutely no Plane Sense.
To clarify, some personal examples: dont listen to the radio, those who do have no understanding of what the calls mean, place observer on their active strip where he cant see the active runway - this resulted in a model flying straight across a landing aircraft - and on a national RC meet the AWIB was running without the specific "Warning-RC model activity" message enabled - which is the only indicator for visiting pilots. No need to drag old mud around, just sayin, I'm happier that a PPL/RPL can do some stuff without meeting the approval of another organisation who's sense of entitlement is rather misguided.

None of this helps much if your drones are in the commercial category - what "exemption" you were issued? or was it the COA you have been talking about? If what you were billed for was not fit for purpose, is that because of SWDC intervention? Apologies if I'm asking something thats already been covered - trying to understand what the situation thats making it so impossible to do the project really is.
Jetboy

Previous

Return to Today's column