What do you do? (11 June, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What do you do? (11 June, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:52 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0611.shtml

I'm getting tired of banging my head against this wall.

I have developed some technology that looks very much as if it would be the exact solution the nascent "drone" industry is seeking, technology that would make the world's airspace much safer and allow the integration of unmanned craft.

All over the world, companies and governments trying to come up with safe solutions to the problem of mixing manned and unmanned craft in the same space are crying out for an effective SAA solution -- and I believe I have one.

Sadly, a tiny handful of bureaucrats seem hell-bent on stopping me from turning this technology into an effective safety tool and possible a significant export-earner for this country.

Should I just stop banging my head against this wall and go on the dole?

Why spend millions on agencies such as Callighan Innovation when petty bureaucrats are free to scuttle promising projects just to settle personal scores?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What do you do? (11 June, 2014)

Postby Anaru » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 am

Sounds like you need a visit Bruce!

What happened with the UAV Operator Licence? I just glossed over the UAV Operator Licence requirements the CAA sent me a while back, it's only $500 - $1,500 to suffice the pilot requirements short of obtaining a PPL, have they moved the goal posts?
Anaru

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:25 am

CAA simply refused to process my application for a COA (Commercial Operating Authority). When I got the Minister (Brownlee) involved, they simply appologised and effectively said "go back to start and do it all again" -- which is very clearly a message that says "don't even bother".

Besides which, even with a COA I still require the permission of the SWDC to fly anything at the airfield and that permission is withheld by decree of the Special Projects Manager Roger Fisher.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Anaru » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:51 am

aardvark_admin wrote:CAA simply refused to process my application for a COA (Commercial Operating Authority). When I got the Minister (Brownlee) involved, they simply appologised and effectively said "go back to start and do it all again" -- which is very clearly a message that says "don't even bother".

I'm not familiar with a COA - how is that different to the UAV Operator Licence - which is seemingly just a formal request to the Director for approval?

aardvark_admin wrote:Besides which, even with a COA I still require the permission of the SWDC to fly anything at the airfield and that permission is withheld by decree of the Special Projects Manager Roger Fisher.

Hmm.
Anaru

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 am

On the positive side, I gave my submission regarding the creation of an international model park at the airfield to a full meeting of the SWDC yesterday.

It was *very* interesting to note that one of the councillors had obviously been "primed" to ask questions solely intended to cast aspesions on my activities and character and the CEO (who appears to hate the fact that I quoted his dismissive comments with respect to a serious safety incident at the airfield) also only asked a question designed to make it appear that I had violated CAA's regulations --which I hadn't.

Fortunately, most of the other councillors seemed very receptive to the initiative and are clearly concerned that so much of ratepayers money is spent each and every year, supporting an asset that is used by so very few (less than half a dozen).

The bureaucrats at the SWDC clearly don't like the fact that I've caught them with their pants down on several occasions and simply request of them that they do the jobs for which they are so handsomely paid.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:10 am

Time to find another airfield to fly from - on the quiet. Keep your workshop where it is as I know that you have to live in the Tokoroa area but get in the car and travel elsewhere for actual testing. Even talk to the local forestry companies, they may have areas that you can use behind locked gates and prying eyes.

Another plan is to contact Jesse Kallman, chief of global business development for San Francisco-based Airware and sell him your services. Might mean working for a wage and commuting to the USA but still better paying and more satisfying than the dole.

Good luck.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 am

Unfortunately Steve, the next phase of testing requires that I maintain a constant telemetry link with the test-gear in my workshop and that's not easily relocatable so as to engage in the "covert, away-from-home" testing you suggest.

Besides which -- why the hell should it be so hard just to try and improve safety and create new opportunities for this damned country?

It's not like I'm asking for a government grant or other considerations -- all people have to do is get out of the damned way and stop obstructing my efforts.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:42 am

Unbelievable!

I just cleared my mailbox and guess what was waiting for me?

An invoice from CAA for $731.98

What is that for?

"Petition for rule requirement exemption"

WTF?

They delivered an exemption that was not fit for purpose, since it did not meet the stated objectives of allowing me to continue my SAA development and allowing me to continue making my videos at the Tokoroa Airfield -- and they still expect me to pay?

This will be fought through the courts -- NOBODY has a right to promise one thing, deliver something else and then expect the recipient to pay an outrageous fee.

Incredible!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:17 am

It seems to be coming to a head Bruce. It's a legal issue and the only way to settle it is through the Courts.

There two issues that I see here; Firstly, there is an outlandish invoice.

Secondly, The CAA cannot deprive you from income by allowing one organisation a monopoly on their dept.

The CAA are likely to say that they are two separate issues and in that they are correct. The Court may decide to have separate hearings on them.
Screw

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am

Give Bill English and Steven Joyce a call

http://techday.com/it-brief/news/hi-tec ... um=twitter

You may be able to talk your way into some action.
Stevesub

Next

Return to Today's column