SkyTV to extend its monopoly to the Net? (18 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SkyTV to extend its monopoly to the Net? (18 Jun, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:41 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0618.shtml

If SkyTV partners with Netflix, what will the future of online entertainment look like in this country?

Should regulators act if such an arrangement is proposed by Sky?

Can Telecom realistically hope to compete with a VOD service from Sky?

Will Telecom dare to partner with another "big name" after the long list of disasters that seem to have followed previous such parnterships?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SkyTV to extend its monopoly to the Net? (18 Jun, 2014)

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 am

If Sky still dominates and over charges for its crap services, illegal downloading will still flourish in NZ. I am not a subscriber to Sky, mainly because I have spent the majority of the last 12 years overseas but when I am at Mum's place in NZ which where I am now, Sky is the last resort for programmes by myself and mother. In fact I don't know why she has it now that Dad is no longer around for his rugby. (I do not follow much sport and can take it or leave it)

Even the free on-demand offerings by TVNZ and TV3 can fill any program gaps for me.

In OZ, they bought in regulations that all major sports HAVE to be on free to air so Foxtel misses out.
Stevesub

Postby latewings » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am

Interestingly I hear more people state they've abandoned their Sky subscription than boast they've had Sky installed.

Which leads me to believe that Sky's penetration into the home viewing market has reached peak. With increased net know-how many will sidestep the incumbent simply to get what they actually want, and SkyVod will not be anything more than an overpriced player in the market. Cannot see how that's going to work to be honest.

The Optus D1 satellite launched in 2006 has an expected 15 year lifespan, and given the uptake of internet based delivery the writing's on the wall too for Sky's hardware. In seven years time I doubt Optus will bother parking another bird at 160E given the loft cost and return on investment, especially if a second cable is laid across the Tasman.
latewings

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:29 am

Apparently Spark (Telecom) has budgeted a whole $20 million for the launch of its video-on-demand service. Once you take out the cost of developing and marketing the platform, that should leave just about enough for some old MASH episodes. I'm not beside myself with excitement.

Reading this article, though, I am quite encouraged. It looks like Sky 'gets it'. Will they get decent content, at a sensible price? Will they be able to resist spamming us with ads? Could it be that I will one day become a Sky subscriber?

Also, if Netflix already has ~30K NZ subscribers, why would they bother 'launching' here at all? Right now, they get to clip the ticket each month, with no support costs.
hagfish

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 am

hagfish wrote:Reading this article, though, I am quite encouraged. It looks like Sky 'gets it'. Will they get decent content, at a sensible price? Will they be able to resist spamming us with ads? Could it be that I will one day become a Sky subscriber?

That's detention for hagfish: posting a link to a paywalled article! :o ;)
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:01 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:
hagfish wrote:Reading this article, though, I am quite encouraged. It looks like Sky 'gets it'. Will they get decent content, at a sensible price? Will they be able to resist spamming us with ads? Could it be that I will one day become a Sky subscriber?

That's detention for hagfish: posting a link to a paywalled article! :o ;)

Whoops. Well the guts is, they are going to rely on people who are hopelessly addicted to live sports to re-up each month. They are losing the non-sport-lovers anyway, so they might as well offer them something for $15/month, as lose them altogether.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:14 am

The more I see what's going on in NZ, the less inclined I am to move back. The more I see of Sky/Foxtel and it's antics, the more I go back to reading books!
JonL

Postby Anaru » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:18 am

I heard a rumour that SKY was trying to buy Orcon?
Anaru

Postby latewings » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 am

I heard a rumour that SKY was trying to buy Orcon?

Not any more according to this just released information.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/10171916/Sky-TV-quashes-Orcon-rumours
latewings

Postby Stevesub » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am

JonL wrote:The more I see what's going on in NZ, the less inclined I am to move back. The more I see of Sky/Foxtel and it's antics, the more I go back to reading books!

Unfortunately we have to move back for 6 months every year and we will make sure we are here over summer from now on. The timing of this trip could not be changed. As for books, yes I refound them with the ebook reader, love my books.
Stevesub

Next

Return to Today's column