SkyTV to extend its monopoly to the Net? (18 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: SkyTV to extend its monopoly to the Net? (18 Jun, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 am

Books... they're just a motionless form of the Web aren't they?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Books... they're just a motionless form of the Web aren't they?

Riddled with DRM, you cannot format shift them, useless when the power goes out and long term storage is a real hassle. Why do people bother?
latewings

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 am

Anaru wrote:I heard a rumour that SKY was trying to buy Orcon?

I heard that one on Monday and have been very worried about it and the implications of it. Saw Juha Saarinan posted this tweet https://twitter.com/juhasaarinen/status ... 8347971585
No sources or other details but he is usually a fairly good and well connected tech journalist so breathed a sigh of relief.

Current Rumour has 2 Degrees in the running to allow them in to the landline market.
Malcolm

Postby hagfish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:54 am

latewings wrote:
aardvark_admin wrote:Books... they're just a motionless form of the Web aren't they?

Riddled with DRM, you cannot format shift them, useless when the power goes out and long term storage is a real hassle. Why do people bother?

The last time I opened a book, it told me I had to update Silverlight, and that my credit card was about to expire. By the time I'd installed the DRM plugin (along with a handy-dandy toolbar) and clicked through the EULA, its battery died.
hagfish

Postby paulw » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 pm

It's interesting that if Sky was a teleco like Telecom or Vodafone and they had a monopoly the ComCom would soon try to break it up or regulate it but with sky a monopoly pay TV broadcaster they seem to roll over and play dead when ever someone suggests it.
paulw

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Possibly because telecommunications is seen as an essential piece of infrastructure while television is "just entertainment" ?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Remember those sky ad's "what would you be doing if you didn't have sky?" and they had those 2 blokes, one a big fulla and the other small blowing up the garden shed? Now thats what I'd be doing if I didn't have sky. Which I don't so it's all moot. I quite like watching sports, it's an easy watch. I can't/don't watch any movies so whats on free to air covers me just fine. Maori TV play the Fox memorial cup on Sat and Sun afternoons, thats the Auckland club league competition and I must say I really enjoy it, ordinary blokes playing quite good league. They also have the odd NRL game and a super league game from the UK on the weekend. I even watch the te reo channel as they have an odd game of league too. I can't understand a thing but I can listen in to the ref so that's enough. Also Sommet sports has some weird and wonderful sports, they even have live Aussie rules, which again, I've become a fan of. Funnily enough I'm more a rugby fan but that ain't on FTA so I've become a fan of some of these minor sports. I wonder how many fans some of these sports are missing out on by going with sky. In essence FTA can satisfy my viewing needs.
goosemoose

Postby mad mike » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I just cancelled my sky suscription as the price continuies to go up with the claim of more and better channels personally i only ever watch discovery and the like anyway and shopping chanells and crappy american dramas and reality tv shit intrest me about at much as giving my nuts a quick squeze with a vice. in fact given the choice to watch that drivel or the vice id choose the vice!

value for money is not something sky understands now i have a decent internet connection i can watch what i like when i like without the constant barrage of ads and programs i dont want and save my $86 a month to cover all the other rising costs of living at most it may cost me another $10 to get an unlimited bandwith plan so still money well saved in my opinion
the square peg WILL fit in the roumd hole
mad mike

Previous

Return to Today's column