Political Friday: TPPA versus NZ (20 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Political Friday: TPPA versus NZ (20 Jun, 2014)

Postby Screw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Well I'm not so sure I agree with you Screw.

Enough Kiwis were politically aciive enough to vote overwhelmingly against the asset sales in the 2013 referendum on the matter.

920,000 opposed the sales, versus just 443,000 who supported them -- a 45% turnout isn't too bad for a postal ballot and the result cleary proves that JK's mandate had been revoked by the citizens of the nation -- regardless of what he might claim.

If Recoverable Proxy was in effect, the people of the nation would have voted down the government and effectively exercised its right to veto.

Even a binding referendum would have done the job -- but alas, it was not to be.

JK thumbed his nose at the people he is elected to *serve*. Do that in the private sector and you'd be out on your ear by lunchtime :-)

There was a difference there Bruce. The referenda was held outside Malls and Supermarkets, in other words; in your face. Is your RP going to do the same? By and large people are too busy or tired to worry about politics when they get home at night.

Johnny Boy is only looking after his rich mates not ordinary scruffs like you and I.
Screw

Postby DigiDog » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:28 pm

goosemoose wrote:Similar to how annoyed you'd be if I invited you round to my house for a dress as a robot party, BYO of course and when you get there I say "No sorry I know you got an invite but you're not allowed in"

But if 920,000 of us turned up in robot costumes and protested outside your house, you'd probably get the message. ;-)
DigiDog

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 pm

DigiDog wrote:
goosemoose wrote:Similar to how annoyed you'd be if I invited you round to my house for a dress as a robot party, BYO of course and when you get there I say "No sorry I know you got an invite but you're not allowed in"

But if 920,000 of us turned up in robot costumes and protested outside your house, you'd probably get the message. ;-)

Yes, it would clearly state that people love dressing up as robots and hanging around my place. Clearly it would be a democratic victory, the people have spoken in my favour. Oops I'll take my "National" glasses off now. 8-)
goosemoose

Postby Screw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Johnny is up to his usual tricks!

From Here!
Key doing deal with US that benefits Wall Street

John Key needs to tell the public why New Zealand is currently involved in a trade deal to benefit Wall Street at the expense of Queen Street, Green Party Co-leader Dr Russel Norman said today.

The text of a 19-page, international trade agreement involving New Zealand has just been published via WikiLeaks. According to the United States Chamber of Commerce, the Trade in Service Agreement (TISA) ‘should expand access to foreign markets for United States service industries and ensure they receive national and most-favoured nation treatment’.

“The United States is pushing to limit regulation of financial services,” said Dr Norman.

“The Trade in Services Agreement (TISA) is a deal aimed at locking the sort of policies that caused the Global Financial Crisis in the first place.

“The United States also want to freeze financial regulation at existing levels, which would severely limit the ability of sovereign governments to deal with another global financial crisis.

“The New Zealand public has been kept completely in the dark about this agreement,” said Dr Norman.

Wikileaks Here! (pdf).
Screw

Previous

Return to Today's column