Political Friday: TPPA versus NZ (20 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Political Friday: TPPA versus NZ (20 Jun, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:42 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0620.shtml

Should we be selling out our consumers' rights in order to gain some yet to be specified benefit for our farmers and their access to a very protectionist US market?

Will Key's grovelling to the USA affect the way you cast your vote this year?

How would *you* summarise the current crop of political parties that are vying for your vote?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Political Friday: TPPA versus NZ (20 Jun, 2014)

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 am

I have a problem with "Free Trade Deals". If you can't work one out in a 30 second phone call then it's not a free trade deal at all. Ever.
For example:
Trade Negotiator A: We'll remove all tariffs, subsidies etc on agriculture.
Trade Negotiator B: Yes (or No)
Deal done or not as the case may be. The US never negotiate free trade deals, they only negotiate deals that are favourable to them or deals that can be made favourable by years of legal arse rogering or political manipulation of the other participant. Even if the TPPA is signed the farmers won't get within cooie of what they want. US lawyers and lobbyists will make absolutely sure of that. And be very, very sure that Key will be sniveling around eagerly licking up Obama's and Kerry's shit, drooling for a pat on the head like grovelling US lapdog he is trying to sell us down the road. This is the number one reason why this bunch of US lackeys won't be getting my vote this year.
aardvark_admin wrote:How would *you* summarise the current crop of political parties that are vying for your vote?

You forgot the Civilian party! They've got my vote at this stage. Doesn't this say something about the state of politics if this is all there is really left to vote for?
goosemoose

Postby Screw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:45 am

Couldn't have put it better meself Goosey.

I won't know who or what I'll vote for until the day before the election. None so far are clicking with me.
Screw

Postby latewings » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:17 am

What isn't clear is exactly the details of the TTPA, so we'll assume its not favourable to NZ. If it were, it would be lauded by every statesman going.

Andrew Robb, the Australian Trade minister claims the deal is 80% done anyway and will be finalised 1st quarter in 2015. Thus it appears Johnny trip is simply to lubricate the process further.

One of the more contentious details is that ISP's will assume liability as well for illegal downloading. Which is double dipping as it were as both perpetrator and mailman get stung by the corpulent suited antiques of the MPAA. And will the legislation here that software cannot be patented be annulled?

So we have several unknowns. Pharmac's position and longevity vs the uber greedy American pharmaceuticals. The legislation surrounding software patents. The rights and freedoms of NZ domiciles from US laws and infringements and lastly the right to do business with countries we please to (China and Russia for example) without checking on Unc Sam first.

As for NZ politics, the long term visionaries are missing from the crop. The Greens are too busy telling us to save the planet through taxation and not smack our children (tell the Henderson diary owners missing a Dad how that's worked out), National are running a government purely on fiscal policy and have avoided of late any major social ideals. Labour lack any fiscal and social policy. NZ First's policy is simply to tell us all what's going wrong repeatedly. Act have acted badly and thus the curtain has dropped on the show and the Internet Mana party are a collection of misfits and marauders who couldn't steer a paper boat in the bathtub let alone actually run a country.
latewings

Postby rossnixon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:46 am

There's nothing silly about the Conservative Party. I voted for them last time, and will again this time.
I'm strongly against the TPPA, and even 'free trade', but I know it is unstoppable. The Totalitarian Plan of the UN is backed by nearly everyone in positions of power.
rossnixon

Postby BruceNZ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:57 am

aardvark_admin wrote:National has proven itself to hold the democratic process in contempt -- selling down public ownership of critical assets despite overwhelming level of public objection.

We agree on a lot of things Bruce but I really reckon you beat this one up far more than is reasonable: National campaigned on asset sell-downs and was returned as government with this (and other) policy platforms. There's nothing 'democratic process in contempt' about this at all, it's how representative government works.

And they may have sold down the government stake in power companies, but they still have control by holding >50% of the shares. It's worth repeating: if it's a critical asset and you still have control of it, why do you need to own 100% of it? Another point: power companies will now be subject to greater scrutiny by having been publicly listed, and this is a good thing. Would Solid Energy be in the mess it's in now if it had a proper board and oversight over the last few years?
BruceNZ

Postby DigiDog » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:05 am

goosemoose wrote:And be very, very sure that Key will be sniveling around eagerly licking up Obama's and Kerry's shit, drooling for a pat on the head like grovelling US lapdog he is trying to sell us down the road.

Today's Herald cartoon was just made for you Goosemoose. And I agree with your sentiments entirely.
Last edited by DigiDog on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DigiDog

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:13 am

Bruce, the granularity of our democracy (ie: we get one vote every three years and that's not to select policies, just parties) means that JK didn't really have the mandate he claimed with respect to the power co sales.

To run a manifesto that says: we'll do A, B and C does not mean that everyone who votes for you is in favour of A, B and C. In fact, some may strongly oppose one or more of your policies but vote for you despite that opposition simply because the alternatives have even worse policies.

That's why I am still pushing the recoverable proxy concept -- a method of giving the people power of veto over the government -- the ultimate assurance of true democracy.

And selling down 50% of the power companies made no economic sense -- the dividends thus forfeit were worth far more than the interest on the borrowing that these asset sales would return to government -- and because many/most of those shares will eventually end up in the hands of offshore parties, the drain on our trade ledger will be significant, effectively sucking our economy dry in the way that the Aussie banks and other key bits of infrastructure that are owned offshore tend to do.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby BruceNZ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Bruce, the granularity of our democracy (ie: we get one vote every three years and that's not to select policies, just parties) means that JK didn't really have the mandate he claimed with respect to the power co sales.

On that basis no government ever has a mandate.

aardvark_admin wrote:And selling down 50% of the power companies made no economic sense -- the dividends thus forfeit were worth far more than the interest on the borrowing that these asset sales would return to government -- and because many/most of those shares will eventually end up in the hands of offshore parties, the drain on our trade ledger will be significant, effectively sucking our economy dry in the way that the Aussie banks and other key bits of infrastructure that are owned offshore tend to do.

I guess we'll see long-term, but to me it looks like these were sold down at a good time, at near the top of their value (especially if Tiwai Pt closes).
BruceNZ

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am

Yes, you are correct... only time will tell.

It's a shame that our politicians are so fearful of true democracy that they won't allow binding referendums on key issues such as the sale of assets -- that would significantly reduce the granularity of our "democracy".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column