Drones - cutting through the crap (24 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Drones - cutting through the crap (24 Jun, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Yeah, but no sensible seminar on these things would be truly worthwhile without a demonstration of the technology.

I would expect to present a practical demonstration on someone's farm and perform some basic tasks such as surveying for roaming stock, checking gates were closed and perhaps just browsing for pasture damage or other problems. Much easier and more effective to *demonstrate* the capabilities and limitations of the technology by giving folks first-hand experience than by just talking from a lectern.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Yeah, but no sensible seminar on these things would be truly worthwhile without a demonstration of the technology.

I would expect to present a practical demonstration on someone's farm and perform some basic tasks such as surveying for roaming stock, checking gates were closed and perhaps just browsing for pasture damage or other problems. Much easier and more effective to *demonstrate* the capabilities and limitations of the technology by giving folks first-hand experience than by just talking from a lectern.

CAA's track record suggests that you would be offending "because they say so" end of story!! You would be wise to cover your arse very precisely until the SAA development is well-advanced and firmly on-track and they are having to do the back-pedalling.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm not a total idiot. Parts of me are missing!”
Kiwiiano

Postby Screw » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Yeah, but no sensible seminar on these things would be truly worthwhile without a demonstration of the technology.

Federated Farmers will sort out a suitable farm Bruce for you to show your goodies. They will arrange a field day for the local cockies to come and have a look. Private property so no prob. with the CAA.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:28 am

Actually, CAA has complete authority over the airspace above private property. You may own the land but CAA "owns" the airspace over it. As soon as your craft leaves the ground, it's subject to CAA's authority.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:32 am

Do it anyway and argue about it afterwards. I don't see a prob. unless you going to fly them high enough to interfere with planes. What about the kids playing with their quads in their own backyard? Do they need a licence? There would be a hell of a lot of peeps. operating illegally!!

If a cockie is using one on his own patch I don't see a problem unless it's done in a way that causes all kinds of trouble.
Screw

Postby needtohover » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am

going by what i read today.. as soon as you sold 1 carrot.. it would be commercial and therefore not allowable. you can use a drone to monitor your own personal farm for personal consumption but not for any commercial use. Looks like the best possible course of action is to start a production company and wait for the FAA in America to allow some of the major film companys use drones to capture some footage, then use it.. which i already think is happening anyway. That opens the door to commercial uses.. for filming anyway. It sounds like an natural course for drones to be used to monitor farms.. use in SAR..and a whole variety of commercial uses which make jobs easier.. and safer.. But amazingly it seems there are those in power of such things have no desire to move forward in these fields.. But just look what the worlds militaries have done with the tech in just a few short years.. and then there is the fear of what a person with ill purpose in mind could do with such tech as one can buy at the LHS.
needtohover

Previous

Return to Today's column