The killer in your living room (27 Jun, 2014)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The killer in your living room (27 Jun, 2014)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2014/0627.shtml

If you want to live to a ripe old age then ditch the idiot-box in the corner of the living room -- at least that's what the experts say and I have to admit that after doing just this quite a few years ago, my life is much better.

Given the efforts that government puts into protecting us from other hazards such as tobacco, should they also be working to reduce the amount of time that Kiwis spend watching TV?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The killer in your living room (27 Jun, 2014)

Postby Stevesub » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:44 am

Yes, I tend to agree on the TV idiot box. I have gone back to reading books a lot more even though the BOX is still going in the corner to keep my wife entertained. Unfortunately she does not share my interest in books and every 5 or 10 minutes expects a response from me on the current drivel she is watching only to get peed off when I don't have as clue as to what has gone on. Love my books (ebooks).

Well done on getting the VDSL, it should make the net better for you for uploads. In my limited experience with Fibre, overseas downloads were much the same due to the Southern Cross bottleneck, uploads great which is mosty of what I have done on fibre.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah, I just uploaded a 20 minute video and it took 2 hours via ADSL so bring on the 9MB/S upload speed of VDSL!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby enerider » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 am

Joining the VDSL club? :)

Yes, upload bandwidth is simply better than ADSL. If you do a lot of uploading and cannot get fibre but have a decent enough ADSL line, then it is simply the way to go.

Will you be using the ISP-supplied device, or will you hook up a VDSL - ethernet converter, apply VLAN tagging to the ethernet interface the VDSL modem is hooked to and the set up a PPPoE connection as needed? :)
enerider

Postby hagfish » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 am

Apparently 'sitting is the new smoking'. I set up a standing desk at work late last year. There are problems with standing all day, too, so I have a high chair that I can perch on when I feel like it. I probably stand for 60% of my working day, and always get a couple of walks in. Short answer is I would not want to go back to full-time sitting. If you can touch-type and your hips/feet are up for it, I recommend it.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm

But the next thing is they'll tell you that standing for extended periods will give you varicose veins and deep-vein thombosis.

Everything you do is dangerous and eventually, fate catches up with you ;-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm

The Health Taliban are already cracking down on smoking and appear to be winning unfortunately. I see they've now set their sights on sugary drinks. They won't go for a full on alcohol jihad though, sure they whinge and moan about how it ties up emergency wards etc but they won't try to ban it like smoking. No, by taxing it they'll keep themselves in their holier than thou bureaucratic positions dictating to the rest of us how we should live our lives. Twats.

Right I'm off to ride my quad bike without a helmet and use my chainsaw with out goggles, ear protection or chaps. I'll be wearing jandals though :lol: :lol: :lol:.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Ohhh... Goosey, you rebel! :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:04 pm

goosemoose wrote:The Health Taliban are already cracking down on smoking and appear to be winning unfortunately. I see they've now set their sights on sugary drinks. They won't go for a full on alcohol jihad though, sure they whinge and moan about how it ties up emergency wards etc but they won't try to ban it like smoking. No, by taxing it they'll keep themselves in their holier than thou bureaucratic positions dictating to the rest of us how we should live our lives. Twats.

Right I'm off to ride my quad bike without a helmet and use my chainsaw with out goggles, ear protection or chaps. I'll be wearing jandals though :lol: :lol: :lol:.

The Flying Spagetti Monster is going to throw a meatball at ya mate! :?

The pollies won't ban alchohol as they need it to fuel their endless junkets. Bellamy's have oodles of it all tax free. ;)
Screw

Postby roygbiv » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 am

We are very lucky in NZ as our TV companies have already had a glimpse of this report - years ago. So what they have done under the guise of advertising breaks during our favourite show. It allows us to periodically get up, during these, we can :
take the dog for a walk
cook dinner
go to the gym/pub/holiday/emigrate

and still get back in time to resume the show.
I really do not think that we will have this problem here.
roygbiv

Next

Return to Today's column